Date::Manip Error
Author Message
 Date::Manip Error

I installed the Date::Manip module, and put use Manip in my perl code.
But, now whenever I run whatever script I put that use Manip in, it says:

Can't call method "import" in empty package "DateManip" at script.pl line 56.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at script.pl line 56.

I just installed it, and did move Manip.pm around to another directory,
plus renamed it do DateManip.pm. Other than that, the install went fine;
no error messages (other than I had to install it as root after I got done
cofiguring it, which I did).

Any help on what this means would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Later,
Paul

   Such a noble creature; a quality we sometimes lack...
                                --Borg Queen; Star Trek: First Contact
   Geek Code and various other frivolities at www.psd.k12.co.us/~preed

Wed, 12 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Date::Manip Error

Quote:
> I installed the Date::Manip module, and put use Manip in my perl code.
> But, now whenever I run whatever script I put that use Manip in, it says:
> Can't call method "import" in empty package "DateManip" at script.pl line 56.
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at script.pl line 56.
> I just installed it, and did move Manip.pm around to another directory,

> plus renamed it do DateManip.pm. Other than that, the install went fine;

  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Do you think Perl can read minds?! Surely you are joking...

Or else you should apply for the "most stupid question" award in the
Guinness Book of Records...

Quote:
> no error messages (other than I had to install it as root after I got done
> cofiguring it, which I did).
> Any help on what this means would be appreciated!

IMHO, your system administrator should change his root password ASAP!

Yours,
--

     "There is enough for the need of everyone in this world,
      but not for the greed of everyone." - Mahatma Gandhi
   >> Unsolicited commercial email goes directly to /dev/null <<

Fri, 14 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Date::Manip Error

Quote:
>I installed the Date::Manip module, and put use Manip in my perl code.
>But, now whenever I run whatever script I put that use Manip in, it says:

>Can't call method "import" in empty package "DateManip" at script.pl line 56.
>BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at script.pl line 56.

>I just installed it, and did move Manip.pm around to another directory,
>plus renamed it do DateManip.pm. Other than that, the install went fine;
>no error messages (other than I had to install it as root after I got done
>cofiguring it, which I did).

You can't just move around and rename modules like that.   In general
modules have their own names written into them, as references to the
package name or otherwise.   Sometimes these references are buried in
quite obscure ways.

In this case, you _may_ be able to get away with changing the

    package Date::Manip;

somewhere near the top of the module to

    package DateManip;

and change all other occurrences of Date::Manip as well.

But if you leave modules in their proper named files they have much more
chance of working..

Mike Guy

Fri, 14 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Date::Manip Error

        >snip<

Quote:
> I just installed it, and did move Manip.pm around to another directory,
> plus renamed it do DateManip.pm. Other than that, the install went fine;
> no error messages (other than I had to install it as root after I got done
> cofiguring it, which I did).
> Any help on what this means would be appreciated!

        Simple.  Delete any of these files you moved around and/or renamed.
        Then, WITHOUT MODIFYING ANY OF THE SOURCE FILES reinstall the
        package using the following commands:

                cd /your/source/dir
                gunzip -c DateManip-5.10.tar.gz | tar -xvf -
                cd DateManip-5.10
                perl Makefile.PL
                make
                make test
                make install

        Once again, DO NOT MODIFY THE MODULE NAMES, DIRECTORYS, OR WHAT NOT!

        If you still feel like you must change the names for whatever
        reason, then you must also run these commands from root to let perl
        know were to find them:
                mv /usr/lib/libc.a /usr/lib/libTryToFindMeNowHaHaHa.a
                mv /usr/lib/libc.so.* /usr/lib/libFindMeToHaHaHaHaHa.so

        Anyone know if those Darwin awards are still going on? :)
--
-Zenin

Sat, 15 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Date::Manip Error

:       If you still feel like you must change the names for whatever
:       reason, then you must also run these commands from root to let perl
:       know were to find them:
:               mv /usr/lib/libc.a /usr/lib/libTryToFindMeNowHaHaHa.a
:               mv /usr/lib/libc.so.* /usr/lib/libFindMeToHaHaHaHaHa.so

And while I'm at it, why I just do a 'rm -rf /'? That would take care of
the problem entirely...

:       Anyone know if those Darwin awards are still going on? :)

I don't understand why everyone thinks this was a particularly dumb
question; it made the module break, it didn't kill anyone...

If I rename/move a module and then call it in the new name/localtion, why
shouldn't it work? (That's a rhetorical question; feel free to give
rhetorical answers...)

And, FYI, I was able to get the module working again w/o re-installing
it...

Later,
Paul

   Such a noble creature; a quality we sometimes lack...
                                --Borg Queen; Star Trek: First Contact
   Geek Code and various other frivolities at www.psd.k12.co.us/~preed

Thu, 20 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Date::Manip Error

Quote:

> :  If you still feel like you must change the names for whatever
> :  reason, then you must also run these commands from root to let perl
> :  know were to find them:
> :          mv /usr/lib/libc.a /usr/lib/libTryToFindMeNowHaHaHa.a
> :          mv /usr/lib/libc.so.* /usr/lib/libFindMeToHaHaHaHaHa.so
> And while I'm at it, why I just do a 'rm -rf /'? That would take care of
> the problem entirely...
> :  Anyone know if those Darwin awards are still going on? :)
> I don't understand why everyone thinks this was a particularly dumb
> question; it made the module break, it didn't kill anyone...

That reminds me that user who wanted to organize his hard disk more nicely...

So he created new directories in the C:\ partition of his PC and moved
all other things and directories into his more self-descriptive directories...

Of course he moved things like C:\WIN and C:\WIN\SYSTEM also...

And afterwards he wondered why and complained about that his computer would
not boot anymore...

Or how about that other user who deleted all the files in his File Manager
on his PC which had empty "document" icons (= files which have no application
associated with their 3-letter extension) - because he thought that those were
files that weren't needed anymore...

I am NOT making this up, these two incidents REALLY happened!

Of course this killed nobody, but the hours of unnecessary work we
administrators had to spend to repair the damage summed up to a
considerable amount! (Several hundred dollars each!)

In German there is an expression for the "largest possible accident to be
expected" in connection with nuclear power plants, "GAU" by abbreviation
(GAU = Groesster anzunehmender Unfall). And if the "GAU" happens and is
worse than the worst case that had been imagined, then we call it a
"Super-GAU".

In analogy thereto, there is an expression in German administrator jargon
which is "Super-DAU" (note the "D" instead of the "G"!), where "DAU" stands
for "Duemmster anzunehmender User" - one could translate that by "the dumbest
imaginable user"...

So "Super-DAU" stands for a user who beats all records in being dumb...

How about the one who broke his cup-holder off his computer?

His administrator on duty at the user hotline first wanted to know wether
this had been a present as part of a PR campaign or something alike. No,
the user replied, this had always been part of his computer. If there was
anything written on it, the administrator asked. Not really, only "4X"...

I can't certify if this one really happened, though, I heard or read it
somewhere, can't remember where.

Quote:
> If I rename/move a module and then call it in the new name/localtion, why
> shouldn't it work? (That's a rhetorical question; feel free to give
> rhetorical answers...)
> And, FYI, I was able to get the module working again w/o re-installing
> it...

Of course there are ways of doing so, but why would anyone reasonable (in
order to avoid using the word "sane") ever want to do that?

Imagine you want to upgrade that module later, you would have to do it all
over again!

Yours sincerely,
--

     "There is enough for the need of everyone in this world,
      but not for the greed of everyone." - Mahatma Gandhi
   >> Unsolicited commercial email goes directly to /dev/null <<

Sun, 23 Jan 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Date::Manip Error

In the cited articles the authors talk about uninformed or dumb users.

This sounds like the old Bastard Operator from Hell stories.

Maybe there is already a thread for Dumbest Users from Hell or DUH for short.

--
# Dancing to the music life has given me.
# Thomas L. Bodine

Fri, 04 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. The user and his hotline... (was: Date::Manip Error)

2. Date::Manip and error message

3. Date standardization without Date::Manip

4. Finding last week dates with Date::Manip

5. lightweight date checker NOT DATE::MANIP

6. ANNOUNCE: Date::Manip 5.07 (now with business dates)

7. ANNOUNCE: Date::Manip 5.07 (now with business dates)

8. Time Zone Conversion (not Date::Manip)

9. Date::Manip changes $ENV{PATH} -- bug or feature?

10. Specifying recurrences for Date::Manip

11. ANNOUNCE: Date::Manip-5.31

12. ANNOUNCE: Date::Manip 5.21 and 5.30