Canceling Usenet Messages in a script
Author Message
 Canceling Usenet Messages in a script

 I am writing some newsreading scripts using Net::NTTP.
Everything seems to work fine , but there is one thing I can't seem to
get right. Most newsreaders allow a poster to cancel a message;  when
this is done it seems that a message is posted to the newsgroup (or
perhaps emailed?) with a subject of the form:
Cancel "message name". I can't seem to do this successfully in my
scripts although I've tried several ways. Does anyone on this group
know how to do this? (I realize this isn't exactly a Perl question,
although I thought perhaps there is some support for this in Net::NTTP
or another module, so I could read the code. Also, I'm guessing that
someone here has done this already.) Thanks for any info/comments!
                          chas friedman

Sat, 15 May 2004 01:30:31 GMT
 Canceling Usenet Messages in a script

Quote:

> I am writing some newsreading scripts using Net::NTTP.
>Everything seems to work fine , but there is one thing I can't seem to
>get right. Most newsreaders allow a poster to cancel a message;  when
>this is done it seems that a message is posted to the newsgroup (or
>perhaps emailed?) with a subject of the form:
>Cancel "message name".

It's not the subject that does the magic.

Quote:
> I can't seem to do this successfully in my
>scripts although I've tried several ways.

Read the FAQ at http://www.killfile.org/faqs/cancel.html .  It will
tell you how to implement it and also tell you the DOs and DON'Ts of
cancelling.

  - Logan
--
"In order to be prepared to hope in what does not deceive,
 we must first lose hope in everything that deceives."

                                          Georges Bernanos

Sat, 15 May 2004 03:52:29 GMT
 Canceling Usenet Messages in a script

Quote:

>Read the FAQ at http://www.killfile.org/faqs/cancel.html .  It will
>tell you how to implement it and also tell you the DOs and DON'Ts of
>cancelling.

Oh, and I just discovered http://www.xs4all.nl/~rosalind/faq-care.html
which seems to have lots of good information.

  - Logan
--
"In order to be prepared to hope in what does not deceive,
 we must first lose hope in everything that deceives."

                                          Georges Bernanos

Sat, 15 May 2004 03:56:35 GMT

1. Faked Messages Re: Cancel messages

2. Looking for script to post messages to Usenet

3. Looking for script to post messages to Usenet

4. Using Perl to post regular usenet messages.

5. Using Perl to scan offline USENET messages

6. UseNet/Gopher Perl Script (gonnrp)

7. Wanted: Perl Script to read Usenet

8. REQUEST: PERL script to search Usenet News

9. ANNOUNCE: Perl script to put usenet articles on homepage

10. Anyone have a script to put Usenet articles into a WAIS batabase

11. Looking for Usenet-->HTML script

12. aaa Script for extracting usenet binaries?