run perl script like a service on NT
Author Message
 run perl script like a service on NT

Hi,

First of all... THANKS for all the help I have got from the guys
here!!!

I have written a a script with io::socket that when executed connects
to a remote service and gets requested data (it works great). At the
moment I can either execute the script from a command line or I could
I guess do it through a browser. How can I get the script to run at
intervals or perhaps run constantly using a keep-alive command so the
connection never breaks. It is running on win NT with Perl 5 BTW

This is a leap in direction for me from CGI/web requests so any advice
is welcome - even pointers to a more appropriate group.

Thanks again,

Paul

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 02:07:05 GMT
 run perl script like a service on NT

Quote:

> Hi,

> First of all... THANKS for all the help I have got from the guys
> here!!!

> I have written a a script with io::socket that when executed connects
> to a remote service and gets requested data (it works great). At the
> moment I can either execute the script from a command line or I could
> I guess do it through a browser. How can I get the script to run at
> intervals or perhaps run constantly using a keep-alive command so the
> connection never breaks. It is running on win NT with Perl 5 BTW

> This is a leap in direction for me from CGI/web requests so any advice
> is welcome - even pointers to a more appropriate group.

The easiest thing would be to run it with "at" (ie the task scheduler or 'at /?').
Another option would be to use the NT Option Pack's "svrany.exe" to
run it as a service, or you could try the Win32::Daemon module (I haven't
used it yet).

But if all you want is to run it on a regular basis, I'd suggest just dragging the
file into the Task Scheduler, and then clicking Properties->Schedule->Advanced.

Hope this helps,
-Tom

--
Thamus   -  a.a#418
The OnlineNewspaper Gazette:  http://www.thamus.org/News/

(Remove my pants to email)

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 05:10:45 GMT
 run perl script like a service on NT

Quote:
> Hi,

> First of all... THANKS for all the help I have got from the guys
> here!!!

> I have written a a script with io::socket that when executed connects
> to a remote service and gets requested data (it works great). At the
> moment I can either execute the script from a command line or I could
> I guess do it through a browser. How can I get the script to run at
> intervals or perhaps run constantly using a keep-alive command so the
> connection never breaks. It is running on win NT with Perl 5 BTW

> This is a leap in direction for me from CGI/web requests so any advice
> is welcome - even pointers to a more appropriate group.

I have had great success with Firedaemon for NT/2000.  It is free and can do
all that srvany can and more.

http://www.firedaemon.com/

Wyzelli
--
($a,$b,$w,$t)=(' bottle',' of beer',' on the wall','Take one down, pass it
around');

Tue, 22 Jun 2004 06:05:44 GMT
 run perl script like a service on NT

Quote:
>> This is a leap in direction for me from CGI/web requests so any advice
>> is welcome - even pointers to a more appropriate group.

>I have had great success with Firedaemon for NT/2000.  It is free and can do
>all that srvany can and more.

Or if you'd like some other "bits and pieces", ActiveState's Visual
Perl - it comes with programs to compile perl code to .exe and also to
create services REAL easy.  You also get an excellent Graphical
de{*filter*} which I find excellent.

Md2k

Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:53:41 GMT
 run perl script like a service on NT
Check out ServiceMill at http://www.servicemill.info
ServiceMill will allow you to run a script as a service and it can
execute the script at a regular interval.
Quote:

> Hi,

> First of all... THANKS for all the help I have got from the guys
> here!!!

> I have written a a script with io::socket that when executed connects
> to a remote service and gets requested data (it works great). At the
> moment I can either execute the script from a command line or I could
> I guess do it through a browser. How can I get the script to run at
> intervals or perhaps run constantly using a keep-alive command so the
> connection never breaks. It is running on win NT with Perl 5 BTW

> This is a leap in direction for me from CGI/web requests so any advice
> is welcome - even pointers to a more appropriate group.

> Thanks again,

> Paul

Wed, 14 Jul 2004 23:04:32 GMT

1. Running perl scripts on NT as a Service

2. NT Services: running perl scripts

3. Running Perl scripts as NT services

4. Running Perl scripts as NT services

5. Perl scripts running as NT services

6. Perl scripts running like NT Service

7. Running perl scripts like NT services

8. Running perl scripts on NT as a Service

9. Running Perl-Script as NT-Service

10. Converting a perl script to run as an NT service

11. How to run Perl program as NT service?

12. Running a perl process as service under Win NT