FAQ: How do I strip blank space from the beginning/end of a string?
Author Message
 FAQ: How do I strip blank space from the beginning/end of a string?

This message is one of several periodic postings to comp.lang.perl.misc
intended to make it easier for perl programmers to find answers to
common questions. The core of this message represents an excerpt
from the documentation provided with every Standard Distribution of
Perl.

+
  How do I strip blank space from the beginning/end of a string?

    Although the simplest approach would seem to be

        $string =~ s/^\s*(.*?)\s*$/$1/;

    not only is this unnecessarily slow and destructive, it also fails with
    embedded newlines. It is much faster to do this operation in two steps:

        $string =~ s/^\s+//;
        $string =~ s/\s+$//;

    Or more nicely written as:

        for ($string) {
            s/^\s+//;
            s/\s+$//;
        }

    This idiom takes advantage of the "foreach" loop's aliasing behavior to
    factor out common code. You can do this on several strings at once, or
    arrays, or even the values of a hash if you use a slice:

        # trim whitespace in the scalar, the array,
        # and all the values in the hash

            s/^\s+//;
            s/\s+$//;
        }

-

Documents such as this have been called "Answers to Frequently
Asked Questions" or FAQ for short.  They represent an important
part of the Usenet tradition.  They serve to reduce the volume of
redundant traffic on a news group by providing quality answers to
questions that keep coming up.

If you are some how irritated by seeing these postings you are free
to ignore them or add the sender to your killfile.  If you find
errors or other problems with these postings please send corrections
or comments to the posting email address or to the maintainers as
directed in the perlfaq manual page.

Answers to questions about LOTS of stuff, mostly not related to
Perl, can be found by pointing your news client to

or to the many thousands of other useful Usenet news groups.

Note that the FAQ text posted by this server may have been modified
from that distributed in the stable Perl release.  It may have been
edited to reflect the additions, changes and corrections provided
by respondents, reviewers, and critics to previous postings of
these FAQ. Complete text of these FAQ are available on request.

The perlfaq manual page contains the following copyright notice.

  AUTHOR AND COPYRIGHT

    Copyright (c) 1997-1999 Tom Christiansen and Nathan
    Torkington.  All rights reserved.

This posting is provided in the hope that it will be useful but
does not represent a commitment or contract of any kind on the part
of the contributers, authors or their agents.

                                                           04.30
--
    This space intentionally left blank

Mon, 01 Mar 2004 19:17:01 GMT

1. FAQ 4.32 How do I strip blank space from the beginning/end of a string?

2. FAQ 4.32 How do I strip blank space from the beginning/end of a string?

3. FAQ 4.32 How do I strip blank space from the beginning/end of a string?

4. FAQ 4.32 How do I strip blank space from the beginning/end of a string?

5. FAQ 4.32 How do I strip blank space from the beginning/end of a string?

6. FAQ 4.32 How do I strip blank space from the beginning/end of a string?

7. FAQ 4.32 How do I strip blank space from the beginning/end of a string?

8. FAQ: How do I strip blank space from the beginning/end of a string?

9. FAQ: How do I strip blank space from the beginning/end of a string?

10. FAQ: How do I strip blank space from the beginning/end of a string?

11. FAQ: How do I strip blank space from the beginning/end of a string?

12. FAQ: How do I strip blank space from the beginning/end of a string?