write privilege for script.
Author Message
 write privilege for script.

I have a perl script that is accessed from a web interface. It was
written to allow a site administrator to make changes on certain web
pages. But the web pages are in a directory that does not allow regular
web users write priveleges. How can allow the script write priveleges to
the directory without leaving the directory writable for everyone? By
the way, I'm using a IIS4.0 server.

Fri, 05 Sep 2003 09:02:40 GMT
 write privilege for script.

Quote:

>I have a perl script that is accessed from a web interface. It was
>written to allow a site administrator to make changes on certain web
>pages. But the web pages are in a directory that does not allow regular
>web users write priveleges. How can allow the script write priveleges to
>the directory without leaving the directory writable for everyone? By
>the way, I'm using a IIS4.0 server.

What is your Perl question?

    Fort Worth, Texas

Fri, 05 Sep 2003 10:29:28 GMT
 write privilege for script.

Quote:
> I have a perl script that is accessed from a web interface. It was
> written to allow a site administrator to make changes on certain web
> pages. But the web pages are in a directory that does not allow regular
> web users write priveleges. How can allow the script write priveleges to
> the directory without leaving the directory writable for everyone? By
> the way, I'm using a IIS4.0 server.

So, this is a Windows NT dile/directory permissions question and has
precisely _nothing_ to do with Perl.   Using an appropriate NG is sopmething
to consider for your next question.

Nevertheless, IIS runs by default with an effective user name of
IUSR_computername and it is this user that needs permission.   See the
section of the IIS manual covering Securing Your IIS Server.

Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:28:34 GMT
 write privilege for script.
What would I do in the webpage/script to make the make the server recognize
that the script has the privileges to write to a directory which cannot
otherwise be written to by ordinary web users. In other words, I am looking
for advice on a user authentication solution that will acquire write
privileges for my perl script. Your question suggests to me that it can
perhaps be accomplished outside the script. Am I right? I am a newbie. Please
bear with the ignorance.
Quote:

> >I have a perl script that is accessed from a web interface. It was
> >written to allow a site administrator to make changes on certain web
> >pages. But the web pages are in a directory that does not allow regular
> >web users write priveleges. How can allow the script write priveleges to
> >the directory without leaving the directory writable for everyone? By
> >the way, I'm using a IIS4.0 server.

> What is your Perl question?

> --
>     Tad McClellan                          SGML consulting

>     Fort Worth, Texas

Fri, 05 Sep 2003 11:56:48 GMT
 write privilege for script.
[ Please put your comments *following* the quoted text that you
  are commenting on.

  Please do not quote entire articles.

  Please never quote .sigs.

  Please visit:   http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/nquote.html

  Thanks.
]

[
  Please do not send stealth Ccs. I will have to killfile
  you if you do it again.
]

Quote:

>> >I have a perl script that is accessed from a web interface. It was
>> >written to allow a site administrator to make changes on certain web
>> >pages. But the web pages are in a directory that does not allow regular
>> >web users write priveleges. How can allow the script write priveleges to
>> >the directory without leaving the directory writable for everyone? By
>> >the way, I'm using a IIS4.0 server.

>> What is your Perl question?

>What would I do in the webpage/script to make the make the server

Nothing, hence it is not a Perl question.

Quote:
>recognize
>that the script has the privileges to write to a directory which cannot
>otherwise be written to by ordinary web users.

Sounds like a web server question. You should ask in a web server
newsgroup such as:

      comp.infosystems.www.servers.mac
      comp.infosystems.www.servers.misc
      comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows
      comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix

or maybe in:

      comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi

Quote:
>In other words, I am looking
>for advice on a user authentication solution

User authentication is handled at the server level, not at the
programming language level. You have a server setup question.

Perl does not _have_ a server, so talking about servers in the
Perl newsgroup is probably not on-topic.

Quote:
>that will acquire write
>privileges for my perl script. Your question suggests to me that it can
>perhaps be accomplished outside the script. Am I right?

 ^^^^^^^

Not perhaps. Must.

So you do not have a Perl question.

Quote:
> I am a newbie. Please
>bear with the ignorance.

Have you tried typing this yet:

   perldoc -q CGI

In particular, this Perl Frequently Asked Question

   "Where can I learn about CGI or Web programming in Perl?"

might help you to be able to partition the problem more effectively.

    Fort Worth, Texas

Fri, 05 Sep 2003 12:09:44 GMT
 write privilege for script.

It seems to me that you might just make the files writeable by the
groupid of the web process, and then password protect your admin page to
let only trusted users access to write the scripts.

Ed

Quote:

> What would I do in the webpage/script to make the make the server recognize
> that the script has the privileges to write to a directory which cannot
> otherwise be written to by ordinary web users. In other words, I am looking
> for advice on a user authentication solution that will acquire write
> privileges for my perl script. Your question suggests to me that it can
> perhaps be accomplished outside the script. Am I right? I am a newbie. Please
> bear with the ignorance.

> > >I have a perl script that is accessed from a web interface. It was
> > >written to allow a site administrator to make changes on certain web
> > >pages. But the web pages are in a directory that does not allow regular
> > >web users write priveleges. How can allow the script write priveleges to
> > >the directory without leaving the directory writable for everyone? By
> > >the way, I'm using a IIS4.0 server.

> > What is your Perl question?

> > --
> >     Tad McClellan                          SGML consulting

> >     Fort Worth, Texas

  edward.coates.vcf
< 1K Download

Sat, 06 Sep 2003 01:57:43 GMT

1. Scripts with root privileges

2. how to write a script to write scripts

3. correctly dropping privileges

4. how to solve when no root privilege?

5. ora_login with SYSDBA privileges

6. administrator insufficient privileges

7. How to install a module without AD privilege??

8. Wrapper for constructing a privileged socket

9. NTPerl and privileges

10. perl scripts that are SUID to a non-privileged user... How ?

11. instances of a script writing to a file

12. Help: Perl Script Doesn't Write Out