What is the purpose of Perl
Author Message
 What is the purpose of Perl

I'm learning perl  and am curios whatis the purpose of Perl?? What can
it do and hwat has it done.

Thu, 25 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What is the purpose of Perl

Quote:

> > I'm learning perl and am curious what is the purpose of Perl?? What can it
> > do and what has it done.
> Didn't you read the manual?

Or perlfaq1: "What is Perl?" and  "Can I do [task] in Perl?" and others.

--
Larry Rosler
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories

Thu, 25 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What is the purpose of Perl
[courtesy copy e-mailed to author(s)]

Quote:
>I'm learning perl  and am curios whatis the purpose of Perl?? What can
>it do and hwat has it done.

Welcome to a wonderful world where your code production time is greatly
reduced and you have a ton of fun programming. ;-)

Check out 'http://www.perl.com/' - the definitive site for Perl and all of
it's aspects.

--

NDUS UNIX SysAdmin        http://www.nodak.edu/~nem/
"Perl did the magic.  I just waved the wand."

Thu, 25 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What is the purpose of Perl

Quote:
> I'm learning perl and am curious what is the purpose of Perl?? What can it
> do and what has it done.

Perl can bend steel bars and move mountains. Perl can tie back the hands of
time. Perl is good for the goose and for the gander. Perl can beat up Mike
Tyson with one hand tied behind its back. Perl can make a rock so heavy it
can't lift it.

Perl has saved the rainforests, it has been to the moon, and it has cured
all major diseases. It has exceeded all known bounds. It has mapped the
universe and created an exact duplicate. Perl has danced with angels and
dined with Shakespeare.

Didn't you read the manual?

miguel

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What is the purpose of Perl

Quote:
> Now here's an example of someone who _SHOULD_ be flamed, but Miguel answers
> him politely instead.

We just can't seem to get it right, can we?

;-)

--

    /                                  http://www.ziplink.net/~rjk/
        "It's funny 'cause it's true ... and vice versa."

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What is the purpose of Perl

Quote:

>> I'm learning perl and am curious what is the purpose of Perl?? What can it
>> do and what has it done.

>Perl can bend steel bars and move mountains. Perl can tie back the hands of
>time. Perl is good for the goose and for the gander. Perl can beat up Mike
>Tyson with one hand tied behind its back. Perl can make a rock so heavy it
>can't lift it.

>Perl has saved the rainforests, it has been to the moon, and it has cured
>all major diseases. It has exceeded all known bounds. It has mapped the
>universe and created an exact duplicate. Perl has danced with angels and
>dined with Shakespeare.

>Didn't you read the manual?

I need to get a copy of the manual you have... mine says nothing of
all the above mentioned things.

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What is the purpose of Perl

+ Perl can bend steel bars and move mountains. Perl can tie back the hands of
+ time. Perl is good for the goose and for the gander. Perl can beat up Mike
+ Tyson with one hand tied behind its back. Perl can make a rock so heavy it
+ can't lift it.

And that was before breakfast.

+ It has mapped the universe and created an exact duplicate.

%universe_2 = %universe;

James - from empirical evidence, I'd say the universe is a hash... ;)

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What is the purpose of Perl

Quote:

> + It has mapped the universe and created an exact duplicate.

> %universe_2 = %universe;

No, that's a shallow copy, and doesn't use map.

        #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
        use Data::Dumper
        use universe; # load the current definition
        my %alternate_universe = map {
          my $u;
          eval Data::Dumper
            ->new([$universe{$_}],['u'])
            ->Purity(1)
            ->Dump;
          $_ => $u
        } keys %universe;

(I know this doesn't actually work, but you get my drift...)

--
John Porter

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What is the purpose of Perl

John> No, that's a shallow copy, and doesn't use map.

John>        #!/usr/local/bin/perl -w
John>        use Data::Dumper
John>        use universe; # load the current definition
John>        my %alternate_universe = map {
John>          my $u;
John>          eval Data::Dumper
-> new([$universe{$_}],['u'])
-> Purity(1)
-> Dump;
John>          $_ => $u
John>        } keys %universe;

John> (I know this doesn't actually work, but you get my drift...)

Or even simpler (and it *does* work :-):

        use Storable;
        $deepclone = dclone($original);

Of course, it can only hold on to scalars, arrays, and hashes, but
that's gonna be about as good as you can get.

Web: <A HREF="http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/">My Home Page!</A>
Quote: "I'm telling you, if I could have five lines in my .sig, I would!" -- me

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What is the purpose of Perl

Quote:
> + It has mapped the universe and created an exact duplicate.
> %universe_2 = %universe;
> James - from empirical evidence, I'd say the universe is a hash... ;)

I thought the universe was a *hack*. 8-)
(And probably the result of some obfuscated code contest at that. I mean
all those bits with fractals--sheesh!)

Paul Archer

     * Tech Support: "I need you to boot the computer."
     * Customer: (THUMP! Pause.) "No, that didn't help."

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What is the purpose of Perl

In comp.lang.perl.misc,

:+ It has mapped the universe and created an exact duplicate.
:%universe_2 = %universe;

Goodness, wouldn't it be easier to just fork?  No data copying. :-)

--tom
--
        --Jamie Zawinski

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What is the purpose of Perl

Quote:

> :+ It has mapped the universe and created an exact duplicate.
> :%universe_2 = %universe;

> Goodness, wouldn't it be easier to just fork?  No data copying. :-)

Yeah, that more accurately reflects what really happens, too
(according to many-universes theories, at least).

--
John Porter

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What is the purpose of Perl

+  [courtesy cc of this posting sent to cited author via email]
+
+ In comp.lang.perl.misc,

+ :+ It has mapped the universe and created an exact duplicate.
+ :%universe_2 = %universe;
+
+ Goodness, wouldn't it be easier to just fork?  No data copying. :-)

Forgive my presumption here, I only have a vague notion of what forking
does, but wouldn't this give you _parallel_ universes?

James - I don't think the data space is shared...

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What is the purpose of Perl

  IRAA> Forgive my presumption here, I only have a vague notion of what
  IRAA> forking does, but wouldn't this give you _parallel_ universes?

  IRAA> James - I don't think the data space is shared...

actually the data and code spaces are shared.

and what definition of universe are you using? if it means the entire
system, then you have to copy the OS, etc., not just fork a process.

you have to do something like (untested :-)

dd if=/dev/kmem of=??

4Q :-)

uri

--
Uri Guttman  -----------------  SYStems ARCHitecture and Software Engineering
Perl Hacker for Hire  ----------------------  Perl, Internet, UNIX Consulting

The Best Search Engine on the Net -------------  http://www.northernlight.com

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 What is the purpose of Perl

Quote:

>   IRAA> Forgive my presumption here, I only have a vague notion of what
>   IRAA> forking does, but wouldn't this give you _parallel_ universes?

>   IRAA> James - I don't think the data space is shared...

> actually the data and code spaces are shared.

> and what definition of universe are you using? if it means the entire
> system, then you have to copy the OS, etc., not just fork a process.

> you have to do something like (untested :-)

> dd if=/dev/kmem of=??

No no no no. Not /dev/kmem. Silly. You do an "init s", and then
a "dd if=/dev/mda of=/dev/mdb", and then "reboot". The original
USys is still running the original universe, and you can connect
mdb to another USys and have your parallel universe. If you have a
MSys, you can be running multiple universes on a single box, allowing
them to share data and rulesets. Indeed, this is very useful if you
want to do quantum tracing to monitor system performance, and allows
for quick uptime if for some odd reason one copy crashes.

Pat Gunn, moderator:comp.sys.newton.announce
comoderator:comp.os.os2.moderated
"You can always judge a man by the quality of his enemies." -- Dr Who
http://junior.apk.net/~qc

Fri, 26 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. What is the best way to...[general purpose perl timing utility]

2. Looking for general purpose perl search tool to search CSV table

3. this perl script's purpose

4. The purpose of Symbol::delete_package()

5. PQ Edit general purpose database editor application and RDBAL module

6. Using the c preprocessor for non c purposes

7. Purpose of Exporter package ?

8. Causing a slow page delivery (on purpose)

9. purpose of use vars () ?

10. Purpose of shift in: my $cgi = shift;?

11. Purpose of HTML::.* ?