perl: warning: Setting locale failed
Author Message
 perl: warning: Setting locale failed

Hello

This must be one of those FAQ that I just don't seem to find an
answer to...

After upggrading perl to the newest version on my Linux(2.0.32 Redhat
4.2)
I allways get the following warning when running perl:
~>perl -v
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_CTYPE = "iso-8859-1",
        LANG = "C"

This is perl, version 5.004_04 built for i586-linux
from "perldoc perllocale" I got the following information:

"By default, Perl ignores the current locale.  The use
locale pragma tells Perl to use the current locale for
some operations."

Well it does not ignore my locale??? (I didn't even used the "use
locale"?)

Is it me doing something wrong or is it something that I've missed??

(unsetting the LC_CTYPE works as a temporary solution but then bash and
a few other
programs can't handle the swedish characters)

Any clues??

Thanks in advance

Michael

Wed, 28 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

2. perl: warning: Setting locale failed

3. warning: setting locale failed (??) (5.004_04)

4. perl: warning: Setting locale failed. Huh?

5. After RH 7.2 upgrade -- "perl: warning: Setting locale failed"

6. Perl message on Linux: Setting locale failed.

7. Settings locale failed

8. Setting locale failed

9. Setting locale failed

10. Setting locale failed.