Docs for a2p/walk.c?
Author Message
 Docs for a2p/walk.c?

OK, I'm reading the source for it assiduously, and some things are
clear, and some other things are not.  As for why I'm doing it, well
I'm trying to bring a2p up to gawk 3.0.3 level, fixing the known bugs
in the process.

Basically, the grammar needs to be re-written in a fairly major way to
correct the failure to recognize the '>' redirection operator and
concatenating more than two expressions.  After studying several
different awk grammars, I believe I understand what needs to be done,
but I need to be able to translate the existing grammar actions to the
new grammar, which will have more nodes and slightly different
structure.  Some of the actions translate quite cleanly, but others do
not.  I really need to make decisions on structure, like how BEGIN/END
is handled currently (probably keep), but to do certain changes, I
need to understand better how walk.c is designed to work.

It would really be a great help, though, if there was *any* sort of
commentary at all besides the source.  TIA for any info or pointers
you can provide on this.

Fri, 22 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Docs for a2p/walk.c?
On Mon, 06 Jul 1998 04:44:06 GMT,

Quote:
>OK, I'm reading the source for it assiduously, and some things are
>clear, and some other things are not.  As for why I'm doing it, well
>I'm trying to bring a2p up to gawk 3.0.3 level, fixing the known bugs
>in the process.

>Basically, the grammar needs to be re-written in a fairly major way to
>correct the failure to recognize the '>' redirection operator and
>concatenating more than two expressions.  After studying several
>different awk grammars, I believe I understand what needs to be done,
>but I need to be able to translate the existing grammar actions to the
>new grammar, which will have more nodes and slightly different
>structure.  Some of the actions translate quite cleanly, but others do
>not.  I really need to make decisions on structure, like how BEGIN/END
>is handled currently (probably keep), but to do certain changes, I
>need to understand better how walk.c is designed to work.

>It would really be a great help, though, if there was *any* sort of
>commentary at all besides the source.  TIA for any info or pointers
>you can provide on this.

I'm afraid that a2p development isn't really going on any more. Judging by
the change log in the perl4 version, the last substantive modification to
walk.c was made in 1992. (The perl5 version has strchr() instead of index(),
some function prototypes, and, coming in 5.005, ANSI function declarations,
but nothing really new).

If you want to work on this, more power to you, but I think the only person
you could ask for insight would be Larry himself.

Sat, 23 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Docs for a2p/walk.c?

Quote:
> OK, I'm reading the source for it assiduously, and some things are
> clear, and some other things are not.  As for why I'm doing it, well
> I'm trying to bring a2p up to gawk 3.0.3 level, fixing the known bugs
> in the process.

are the two in the awk FAQ really the only known ones?  cool!

Quote:
> It would really be a great help, though, if there was *any* sort of
> commentary at all besides the source.

I've included c.l.awk in case others there know (I don't).
--

Sun, 24 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Robert Fisk: Bush is walking into a trap

2. How to walk dir structures

3. Recursive 'walk' into dir

4. walking a directory tree

5. snmp and walk

6. How to walk dir structures

7. how to Walk/dump Win32 registry?

8. How to walk dir structures

9. how to Walk/dump Win32 registry?

10. SNMP table walking with SNMP PERL module?

11. Walking the tree

12. recursive directtory tree walk