Running Perl in PWS/Win98
Author Message
 Running Perl in PWS/Win98

Hi,

I have a basic question...  I was trying to run my perl (.pl) script in my
internet browser as I am using Windows98 with Personal Web server installed.
Evrytime i try to run the perl file in the browser it asks me to download
or open it in the browser.  I wasn't able to view it in the browser.  Did I
miss anything in my server configuration, or should I have to modify
something in the RegEdit.   What should I need to do?  Please help..

I'm new at perl..

thank you.

Mon, 17 May 2004 19:19:51 GMT
 Running Perl in PWS/Win98

Quote:

> Hi,

> I have a basic question...  I was trying to run my perl (.pl) script in my
> internet browser as I am using Windows98 with Personal Web server
> installed. Evrytime i try to run the perl file in the browser it asks me
> to download
> or open it in the browser.  I wasn't able to view it in the browser.  Did
> I miss anything in my server configuration, or should I have to modify
> something in the RegEdit.   What should I need to do?  Please help..

> I'm new at perl..

> thank you.

You need to do several things:-

1) associate the perl file extension (.pl) with an executable script

In regedit:-

HKEY_LOCAL_SYSTEM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W3SVC\Parameters\ScriptMap

.pl     perl.exe %s

2) set the correct directory permissions on cgi-bin to execute but not read
access

Shutdown and then restart PWS

I guess you are using activestate perl ? If so see

Mon, 17 May 2004 21:19:34 GMT
 Running Perl in PWS/Win98
If you haven't done so already, you MUST tell PWS to associate *.pl*
(or *.cgi*) file extensions with the Perl interpreter. This way, when
a client request somefile.pl, PWS fires up Perl, and allows it to
generate the output. there's some M$ article I read about it that
contained easy to follow instructions on how to configure PWS (using
regedit). It can be found here:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q231/9/98.asp

Tue, 18 May 2004 02:33:15 GMT

1. Http 500 Error running CGI scripts on PWS 4.0 [win98]

2. Perl on Win98/PWS

3. perl on ms PWS on win98

4. ActivePerl and WIN98 PWS

5. opening a CGI script using IE4.0 from a win98 PWS

6. Deadline to meet, configuring ActivePerl, Win98, PWS 4.0

7. Running cgi perl on win2k pws

8. Cannot get pws to run perl scripts

9. How can I run perl in PWS ?

10. unable to run perl scripts on pws

11. Running Perl On MS IIS4 or Personal Web Server for Win98

12. Running PERL script on win98