Perl Power Tools Project Asleep? 
Author Message
 Perl Power Tools Project Asleep?

So, is the Perl Power Tools project in low-power shutdown?  Is
it resting?  Neglected?  Defunct?  Waiting ... for Godot?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Got questions?  Get answers over the phone at Keen.com.
Up to 100 minutes free!
http://www.*-*-*.com/



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Perl Power Tools Project Asleep?

Quote:

>So, is the Perl Power Tools project in low-power shutdown?  Is
>it resting?  Neglected?  Defunct?  Waiting ... for Godot?

The code is all intact and at http://doriath.perl.com/ppt/, and you
may grab it from there.  Nearly everything is done, save very hard
things like nroff and vi.  What happened is that I had an irrecoverable
disk crash from which I was unable to restore the subscribers to
the mailing list.  Without the mailing list as a focal point, most
participation dried up.  

I need to get this on CPAN, but it's not clear where suites go.
I guess just in my author directory.

--tom



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Perl Power Tools Project Asleep?

Quote:
>The code is all intact and at http://doriath.perl.com/ppt/, and you
>may grab it from there.  Nearly everything is done, save very hard
>things like nroff and vi.  What happened is that I had an irrecoverable
>disk crash from which I was unable to restore the subscribers to
>the mailing list.  Without the mailing list as a focal point, most
>participation dried up.  

I'm probably doing something completely stupid, but after downloading
the ppt and unpacking it, how do I install the programs? In the scripts
directory, there are a few programs that seem to be part of the install
process, but one (mkln) is there only as a fragment. And there is no
Makefile.PL or something like that. I figured the programs would go into
bin/ and the docs would go into html/, but how?

Sorry if I missed something completely obvious. (Sure, I could write
the installer myself, I just wondered whether there wasn't one that
I overlooked.)

Thanks & nice to see you're back, Tom

--
Marcel
sub AUTOLOAD{($_=$AUTOLOAD)=~s;^.*::;;;y;_; ;;print} Just_Another_Perl_Hacker();



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Perl Power Tools Project Asleep?

Quote:

>I'm probably doing something completely stupid, but after downloading
>the ppt and unpacking it, how do I install the programs?

Using "cp", probably, or "install".  No, there is no installation process
for the suite.  It's something that didn't happen.

Quote:
>Thanks & nice to see you're back, Tom

Thanks.  One shall see.

--tom



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Perl Power Tools Project Asleep?

Quote:



> >So, is the Perl Power Tools project in low-power shutdown?  Is
> >it resting?  Neglected?  Defunct?  Waiting ... for Godot?

> The code is all intact and at http://doriath.perl.com/ppt/, and you
> may grab it from there.  Nearly everything is done, save very hard
> things like nroff and vi.  What happened is that I had an irrecoverable
> disk crash from which I was unable to restore the subscribers to
> the mailing list.  Without the mailing list as a focal point, most
> participation dried up.

Are you planning a new mailing list?  Are there archives?  

I noticed that in some of the directories there are several versions.
Which (if any) are the
correct versions ( look in ls, for example ) ?



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Perl Power Tools Project Asleep?

Quote:
>Are you planning a new mailing list?  Are there archives?  

I have no plans right now.  That's because it's summer, and
I like it that way.  If someone wants to get a mailing list
on perl.org for that, this sounds fine.  

Quote:
>I noticed that in some of the directories there are several versions.
>Which (if any) are the
>correct versions ( look in ls, for example ) ?

I never decided which of several competing versions to promote.
That would have happened once the installing system for the whole
suite were more (well, any) developed.

--tom



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 Perl Power Tools Project Asleep?

quoth:

Quote:
> I need to get this on CPAN, but it's not clear where suites go.
> I guess just in my author directory.

My first thought would be to add it to the CPAN scripts section, but they
aren't really 'scripts' either. Suites could also be viewed as bundles
though I'm not sure if one wants to glob them together. I don't see why they
couldn't go in your directory. Also, someone could get the ppt list going
again on perl.org.

e.



Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 7 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Perl Power Tools [project status update]

2. Perl Power Tools [project status update]

3. Perl Power Tools or Cygwin?

4. Perl Power Tools status update

5. ANNOUNCE: Perl Power Tools to the rescue!

6. ANNOUNCE: Perl Power Tools to the rescue!

7. Collaborators Wanted -- Perl Tool Development Project

8. Perl from "Unix Power Tools" book works - a cruel illusion?

9. Perl from "Unix Power Tools" book works - A cruel illusion?

10. Perl Power Tools (PPT): get rid of other shells ?

11. Native Mac perl for Power Mac's?

12. MIME-tools/Mail-tools incompatible?

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software