Documentation & Install...
Author Message
 Documentation & Install...

So I have this cool perl code that does something really neat which I
would like to package up and make "professional" (before I submit it to
CPAN).  In the old days I used to use wrapman.pl to package up my script
with its man page and everyone was happy.

Now days things are different with POD and with many packages including
an install method.  Can someone please point me toward a FAQ on how to
build these or even better, some code snippet that I can just wrap my
modules.

Thank You

Tue, 02 Mar 2004 03:37:21 GMT
 Documentation & Install...
On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 02:37:21 GMT,

Quote:
> So I have this cool perl code that does something really neat which I
> would like to package up and make "professional" (before I submit it to
> CPAN).  In the old days I used to use wrapman.pl to package up my script
> with its man page and everyone was happy.

> Now days things are different with POD and with many packages including
> an install method.  Can someone please point me toward a FAQ on how to
> build these or even better, some code snippet that I can just wrap my
> modules.

To create module packages that 'conform' to the standard ones:

$ man h2xs

With a bit of tweaking you should be able to use it for distributions
without modules (e.g. just scripts) as well. It'll write a bare bones
Makefile.PL and MANIFEST for you, which you can use to package up a
distribution.

$ perl Makefile.PL
$ make dist

You probably also want to read the ExtUtils::MakeMaker documentation.

Before you submit this module code to CPAN, you might want to check
that the name space you're taking up is ok.

More information at:
http://www.cpan.org/modules/index.html
http://www.cpan.org/modules/04pause.html#namespace

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen              |
Interactive Media Division      | If at first you don't succeed, try

Tue, 02 Mar 2004 04:59:18 GMT
 Documentation & Install...

Quote:
>So I have this cool perl code that does something really neat which I
>would like to package up and make "professional" (before I submit it to
>CPAN).  In the old days I used to use wrapman.pl to package up my script
>with its man page and everyone was happy.

>Now days things are different with POD and with many packages including
>an install method.  Can someone please point me toward a FAQ on how to
>build these or even better, some code snippet that I can just wrap my
>modules.

>Thank You

If it's a script that you want to bundle take a look at sdist at

    http://www.cpan.org/authors/id/R/RK/RKOBES/sdist

It might be helpfull.

If it's a module look at h2xs and the ExtUtils::MakeMaker manual pages.

Good Luck
--
    This space intentionally left blank

Tue, 02 Mar 2004 05:00:31 GMT
 Documentation & Install...

Quote:

>So I have this cool perl code that does something really neat which I
>would like to package up and make "professional" (before I submit it to
>CPAN).
>Can someone please point me toward a FAQ on how to
>build these

   perldoc -q module

      "How do I create a module?"

and also:

   perldoc perlmodlib

     "constructing new Perl modules and finding existing ones"

In short, use the 'h2xs' program to start off with.

    Fort Worth, Texas

Tue, 02 Mar 2004 05:04:28 GMT

1. Request for documentation &FAQ on Perl...

2. a documentation of all installed modules (perl/lib) by means of CPAN.pm and manpages

3. make html documentation for modules not installed via ActiveState's ppm

4. Installing perl/tk documentation?

5. Net::FTP install & dialup setup

6. Libwww & installing them

7. WHERE TO GET & HOW TO INSTALL PERL5

8. WHERE TO GET & HOW TO INSTALL PERL5

9. Installing PERL on AT&T SYS V 3.2.1

10. How can I migirate installed&configured activeperl5.6 to another machine

11. urllist & install

12. Installing Blowfish & DES Crypt modules (Windows)