ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} problem
Author Message
 ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} problem

I am designing and developing database. I have login page for the users
to provide valid database login and pasword for authentication purposes.
I would like to access ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} on each page to make sure
whether user is a valid database user or not. I am trying to access
ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} on each script but it returns null. Does anyone have
any idea how can i do that? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Umair

--
Favorite Quotes:
===============

Tue, 09 Dec 2003 00:44:30 GMT
 ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} problem

Quote:
> I am designing and developing database. I have login page for the users
> to provide valid database login and pasword for authentication purposes.
> I would like to access ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} on each page to make sure
> whether user is a valid database user or not. I am trying to access
> ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} on each script but it returns null. Does anyone have
> any idea how can i do that? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Followups set.

Cheers,
Philip
--

Yes, that really is my address; no need to remove anything to reply.

Tue, 09 Dec 2003 00:51:52 GMT
 ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} problem

Quote:
> I am designing and developing database. I have login page for the users
> to provide valid database login and pasword for authentication purposes.
> I would like to access ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} on each page to make sure
> whether user is a valid database user or not. I am trying to access
> ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} on each script but it returns null. Does anyone have
> any idea how can i do that? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

$ENV{REMOTE_USER} contains the username as identified by the standard
authenitcation mechansims implemented by the web server.

This has nothing to do with Perl.

If you are rolling your own authenitcation mechansims you need some
sort of session concept.

This has nothing to do with Perl.

One mechanism you can use is a cookie that contains a session ID.

This has nothing to do with Perl.

You probably want to avoid the cookie from being a password equivlent
(i.e. you don't want someone getting hold of the cookie to be able to
use it to log in again later).

This has nothing to do with Perl.

Some web sites abuse cookies and so some people disable cookies so
cookies may not work.  If cookies _do_ work then they are the right
solution.

This has nothing to do with Perl.

Another option is put the session token in a hidden field or in the
URL.

By the way, did I mention this has nothing to do with Perl.

Quote:
> --------------B0C0D6918618FCBE986D645A

This is a plain text newsroup - please no not post HTML.

--
     \\   ( )
  .  _\\__[oo

 .  l___\\
  # ll  l\\
 ###LL  LL\\

Tue, 09 Dec 2003 00:56:52 GMT

1. $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}

2. $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}; under Win32

3. Saving variable in $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}

4. $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'};

5. ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}

6. $ENV{'AUTH_TYPE'} and $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'}

7. $ENV{'REMOTE_HOST'} Problem on NT

8. Problem: With the $ENV{'blah'} variable

9. Problem with ENV{REMOTE_USER}

10. $ENV{'REMOTE_USER'} not working with my script

11. Problems with env: can't use -w or -T

12. $ENV{'QUERY_STRING"} problem