PERL and Source Navigator
Author Message
 PERL and Source Navigator

Just downloaded source navigator and wondered if A. Someone had produced
a Perl parser for this program ir B. If anyone knew of another program
similar is description which would parse Perl scripts.. I am currently
running emacs in CPerl mode and have found it rather limited. Any help
would be very appreciated!

Tim Goldfield
--
Fujitsu Telecomunications
Birmingham

Tue, 05 Aug 2003 00:17:13 GMT
 PERL and Source Navigator

Quote:

> Just downloaded source navigator and wondered if A. Someone had produced
> a Perl parser for this program ir B. If anyone knew of another program
> similar is description which would parse Perl scripts.. I am currently
> running emacs in CPerl mode and have found it rather limited.

CPerl is astonishingly close given the deep complexities of the perl
parser itself.  Hence this remark (apropos of debugging support in
text editors), from perldebug:

   Note that only perl can truly parse Perl, so all such CASE tools
   fall somewhat short of the mark, especially if you don't program
   your Perl as a C programmer might.

There are many Perl programmers who use vi, and I'll stand back while
they post their own observations of vi's syntax hilighting for Perl.

I would hate to program in Perl without CPerl.  I will say that there
are certain things I do habitually, which are themselves not necessary
(or even desirable) for legal Perl, but which act as hints to CPerl.
For example, I'll always write $hash{'s'} as opposed to $hash{s},
since the latter form will make CPerl think there's a substitution
beginning "s}".  I'm willing to live with those habits.

--

http://pobox.com/~jdf

Tue, 05 Aug 2003 07:15:16 GMT
 PERL and Source Navigator
Thanks for your time. I apperciate CPerl is a very complex parser but
the short fallings I have noticed are not due to CPerl itself but due to
emacs.. Do you know of a patch for emacs such as etags but which takes
into account variable definitions etc, and not simply procedures. I
wished to use Source Navigator because it has an excelant facility to
view the complex structure of programs by building a procedure tree
which you can easily navigate round! If there is such an addon to emacs
I would be happy to use that.

Cheers for your reply.

Tim Goldfield
--
Fujitsu Telecomunications
Birmingham

Tue, 05 Aug 2003 18:37:26 GMT

1. Perl parser for RedHat Source Navigator

2. Perl parser for RedHat Source Navigator

3. image via cgi perl on netscape navigator

4. Downloading, Perl, Navigator, and file names

5. Pre-ANNOUNCE of a Perl Documentation Navigator

6. Perl and Netscape Navigator

7. CGI output displayed as text in Navigator

8. ANNOUNCE: Tutorial # 27: A navigator for foreign keys in MySQL table schema

9. HOW? : Using MacPERL/Navigator/My Local Machine

10. Netscape Navigator 3.x

11. How MS Explorer And Navigator Handle CGI - Web Review