Is there a command-line Usenet newsreader available?
Author Message
 Is there a command-line Usenet newsreader available?

Hi everyone.  I need to write a perl script to automate some tasks, but
I need a command-line Usenet newsreader that can take the name of a
Usenet news group to get as well as the number of messages to retrieve,
and then return these messages and quit.  I know that there are a number
of excellent Usenet readers, like trn and tin, but these all have user
interfaces while I need a command-line interface.  Can anyone tell me
where to get a command-line newsreader that can take command-line

your help!

--
Thanks,
        Brad Neuberg

Sun, 14 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a command-line Usenet newsreader available?
: Hi everyone.  I need to write a perl script to automate some tasks, but
: I need a command-line Usenet newsreader that can take the name of a
: Usenet news group to get as well as the number of messages to retrieve,
: and then return these messages and quit.  I know that there are a number

Are you sure that's what you need?  Check out the Net::NNTP module.

Sun, 14 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Is there a command-line Usenet newsreader available?

Quote:

>Hi everyone.  I need to write a perl script to automate some tasks, but
>I need a command-line Usenet newsreader that can take the name of a
>Usenet news group to get as well as the number of messages to retrieve,
>and then return these messages and quit.  I know that there are a number
>of excellent Usenet readers, like trn and tin, but these all have user
>interfaces while I need a command-line interface.  Can anyone tell me
>where to get a command-line newsreader that can take command-line

>your help!

Your question really doesn't have much to do with perl does it?

However, News::NNTPClient might be of interest to you.

Something like :

my $client = new News::NNTPClient("","",0);
$client->group($group);
print $client->article($article);

--
Sam

Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons.
        --Popular Mechanics, 1949

Sun, 14 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. BRN 0.1 (beta) - threaded newsreader is available.

2. capturing command line error or output from `<command>`

3. Running Command Line Commands

4. executing commands, command-line vs. browser

5. command line commands from inside perl ?

6. Output of a command line command

7. RE : DIFFICULT: Can't execute system command from FVWM, but can from the command line

8. How to run a command at the command line

9. -F works on command line but not on #!perl -paF line

10. Perl command line search and line replace

11. -ln015 on #! line -vs- command line

12. What am I doing wrong with 1st line