Perl4 is dead dead dead
Author Message
 Perl4 is dead dead dead

Hi,

(Dammn newsreader lost the contents of the original post but the gist was :

Tom C. was saying that he felt that the Bigperl 5 warning about trashed hard
drives gave Perl a very bad name.)

Personally I feel that it is better to have the warning - at least people know
about the dangers - would it be better if we got loads of DOS Perl5 users
posting that they hadnt been warned that their disks may be trashed....
It is ok to say that users should RTFM but not a lot do. Those that do may read
the Unix version first (if like me they have to code for both DOS & Unix) and
then use the DOS version.

Incidentally the DOS 4 version works well (well done to the porter) as my final
year project proved but I will be in the group that waits for version of Perl 5
for DOS that doesnt have the possibility of a serious danger.

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get Perl 4 (HP Unix) to do fork 100
telnet processess and wait for the result of each process (but not in turn)

Regards,

Mark

BTW Cheers Larry for a great language.

Wed, 12 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl4 is dead dead dead

Quote:
>> for DOS that doesnt have the possibility of a serious danger.

I see. I suppose the C compiler you use under DOS has a similar
warning, and you don't use it either? It's just as *true* (possibly
even more so :-)

Quote:
>Now all I have to do is figure out how to get Perl 4 (HP Unix) to do fork 100
>telnet processess and wait for the result of each process (but not in turn)

Look at fcntl "non blocking" support, don't use telnet but connect the
sockets directly, build a state machine that advances each from
waiting-to-connect to waiting-for-response as needed. I did this about
five years ago with a parallel finger program (which parsed the output
of nslookup "ls" directly to get the list of hosts :-) but it isn't
really in any kind of releaseable condition, so don't ask; the
suggestions above should be enough for you to figure it out...

Thu, 13 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Perl is Dead, dead, dead!

2. !!! STOP POSTING HERE -- THIS GROUP IS DEAD DEAD DEAD !!!

3. Perl's brain-dead floating point math

4. unloading dead modules

5. dead pipes

6. dead loop using while(<FILE>)

7. Is Mason dead? Was: MasonCompRoot and globs

8. Tkperl: is it dead?

9. dead children after forking from a remote shell

10. Possible dead links in perlfaq

11. checking for dead links, LWP::Simple