Problem using GD to create VERY large gifs.
Author Message
 Problem using GD to create VERY large gifs.

Hello

I am using Perl 5.002 and GD to create a very large GIF,
12000x6000 pixels. The script creats an empty gif and then
places ump{*filter*} seperate gif images into this new gif. It
then uses

                image->gif

to convert the gif from its internal data representation.
However the script then fails with:-

        Cant fork at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/GD.pm line 78

The same script running on the PC hangs.

Technology Basis

Thu, 10 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Problem using GD to create VERY large gifs.

: I am using Perl 5.002 and GD to create a very large GIF,

You oughta upgrade to Gurusamy Sarathy's binary distribution of perl5.004_02,
which has a working GD port.

http://www.perl.com/CPAN-local/authors/Gurusamy_Sarathy/perl5.00402-b...
bc.tar.gz

Perhaps try that, and let us know if it doesn't work.
--
#!/usr/bin/perl -w --                     Just another Perl hacker,

y,<STDIN>,,$$=~s\^\"sub $_ {print'$}'};7"\ee),y,} \,},>STDOUT,,&$_}

Thu, 10 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Problem using GD to create VERY large gifs.

Quote:
> Hello

> I am using Perl 5.002 and GD to create a very large GIF,

You really should upgrade to a newer version of perl.

Quote:
> 12000x6000 pixels. The script creats an empty gif and then

Maybe a silly question, but does your machine have enough memory to
deal with this? I am not sure how gdlib handles this internally, but I
suspect that at some point, it will have a bitmap in memory. 1 byte
per pixel, probably.

12000 x 6000 is approximately 72 MB, just for the bitmap in memory.
That is not counting anything else, duplications or whatever.

Again: I am not sure that that is what gdlib does internally, but it
wouldn't surprise me. Large image manipulations are notorious for the
amounts of memory they can use.

Quote:
>        Cant fork at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/GD.pm line 78

Since you don't provide us with a version of GD you are using, it is
very hard to say what exactly is done at 'line 78'.

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen                  |
Webmaster www.tradingpost.com.au    | That's not a lie, it's a terminological

Fri, 11 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Create GIFs on the fly from Perl with GD.pm v0.26

2. How to create GIFs with GD 1.23?

3. GD.pm used for Combining GIFS???

4. GD - problems in creating GD.pl

5. Problems with GD->plot() using GD::Barcode::UPCE

6. Problem creating large DBM-files (750000 records)

7. Animated GIFS with GD.pm?

8. GD and animated gifs

9. 2 questions re gd.pm and accessing/displaying gifs

10. Can GD.pm make 200 dpi gifs?

11. GD gifs on disk take up memory!!!???!!!

12. Can GD Output 200 dpi Gifs?