CreateObject doesn't work via my browser
Author Message
 CreateObject doesn't work via my browser

Quote:

> Hello,

> i wrote a simple cgi script which just read the properties
> of an Excel document.

> When i run it under a dos window ("perl scipt.pl") it works very well;
> But when i excute it via my browser, the function
> CreateObject can't create an Excel object instance, and i don't know why :-(((

[snip]

Quote:
> What the cause of this trouble ?? are my browser or my web server
> misconfigured?

No. A web server can't run a GUI application - who would use the GUI?

Create a CSV file instead using one of the many modules to do that from
the CPAN.

--
<Matt/>

| Fastnet Software Ltd              |   Perl in Active Server Pages   |
| Perl Consultancy, Web Development |   Database Design   |    XML    |
| http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;          |    Information Consolidation    |

Sun, 01 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CreateObject doesn't work via my browser
Actually the script works fine on my system (Win95 running MS Personal
Web Server; the browser is Netscape 4.06).  I take it from your previous
postings that you *CAN* run a simple CGI script from a browser.  Can you
run a simple CGI script on the same *directory*, with the same *file
type* (like .pl for both) on the same *system*, with the same *browser*
that you're trying with your OLE script?  Do the *scripts* have the same
permissions (check the file properties)?  If so, *I'm* baffled.  Let me
know.
Quote:

> > Hello,

> > i wrote a simple cgi script which just read the properties
> > of an Excel document.

> > When i run it under a dos window ("perl scipt.pl") it works very well;
> > But when i excute it via my browser, the function
> > CreateObject can't create an Excel object instance, and i don't know why :-(((

> [snip]

> > What the cause of this trouble ?? are my browser or my web server
> > misconfigured?

> No. A web server can't run a GUI application - who would use the GUI?

> Create a CSV file instead using one of the many modules to do that from
> the CPAN.

> --
> <Matt/>

> | Fastnet Software Ltd              |   Perl in Active Server Pages   |
> | Perl Consultancy, Web Development |   Database Design   |    XML    |
> | http://come.to/fastnet            |    Information Consolidation    |

Sat, 07 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 CreateObject doesn't work via my browser

Quote:

> Thank you Matt for your answer,

> but if i create a CSV file (from my excel file), i loose the properties of
> the excel file (Author, Title, Organisation , Date,....). But my main
> objective is to read ,in a directorie on the server, the properties of all
> the Excel files. And then i can make a HTML page with a board containing 3
> columns (Author, Title, Organisation, Date) witch indicate the documents
> available.

> Note that the name of the Excel files are not enough and i need the
> Author, Title, Organisation informations.

I suggest you take a look at LAOLA (I think it's been renamed, but a
search for LAOLA would get you the right thing). It is a much better way
to get what you want, and much more lightweight too.

--
<Matt/>

| Fastnet Software Ltd              |   Perl in Active Server Pages   |
| Perl Consultancy, Web Development |   Database Design   |    XML    |
| http://come.to/fastnet            |    Information Consolidation    |

Sun, 08 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. LWP and HTTPS script not working via browser/CGI calls

2. work on command line and not via browser?

3. Directory handling script works and doesn't work

4. Endless loop doesn't stop even when the browser closes

5. browser doesn't display images

6. Script runs fine from shell, but browser doesn't receive variables

7. ODBC.PM and sql's Like doesn't work

8. DBD:CSV /script doesn't INSERT data when supllied via html form

9. UNIVERSAL doesn't work how I'd expect

10. UNIVERSAL doesn't work how I'd expect

11. open'ing lynx doesn't work when called by cron

12. http proxy in chroot'ed environment doesn't work - help