HELP: Modules load as root, not user.
Author Message
 HELP: Modules load as root, not user.

Hi,

I'm having a problem running various modules as a regular user, but they
run fine as superuser.  For example:

If I run this trivial Perl script:

#!/usr/bin/perl
use GD;

as root, it does what it's supposed to.  (Well, assume I actually make an
image using the GD functions.)  However, if I run it as a regular user, I
get an error:

/usr/local/lib/perl5/sun4-solaris/5.00404 /usr/local/lib/perl5
/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/sun4-solaris/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at - line 1
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at - line 1.

root and the regular user.  I usually "su" and then "csh; source ~/.cshrc"
to load my defaults anyhow.  But I've made sure that any environment
variables in the root account are present in the user account.  So I
thought it might be a wacky permissions setting.  But as far as I can
tell, the permissions line up for both root and other users.  (root has
write access to various Perl directories, but usually all three classes
either have r access or rx access.)

Anyhow, I'm stumped.  How do I fix this?  It's not just GD;  it's
happening with other modules as well.  And it's always in loading an
object module, not the module itself.  (That would result in a different
error.)

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Adam

Sat, 12 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Modules load as root, not user.

Quote:

> Hi,

> I'm having a problem running various modules as a regular user, but they
> run fine as superuser.  For example:

> If I run this trivial Perl script:

> #!/usr/bin/perl
> use GD;

> as root, it does what it's supposed to.  (Well, assume I actually make an
> image using the GD functions.)  However, if I run it as a regular user, I
> get an error:

> /usr/local/lib/perl5/sun4-solaris/5.00404 /usr/local/lib/perl5
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/sun4-solaris/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at - line 1
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at - line 1.

> root and the regular user.  I usually "su" and then "csh; source ~/.cshrc"
> to load my defaults anyhow.  But I've made sure that any environment
> variables in the root account are present in the user account.  So I
> thought it might be a wacky permissions setting.  But as far as I can
> tell, the permissions line up for both root and other users.  (root has
> write access to various Perl directories, but usually all three classes
> either have r access or rx access.)

> Anyhow, I'm stumped.  How do I fix this?  It's not just GD;  it's
> happening with other modules as well.  And it's always in loading an
> object module, not the module itself.  (That would result in a different
> error.)

> Any ideas?

> Thanks,
> Adam

Check the rights/permissions on ALL of the module files. Its likely that
they are set to read only for owner(in this case root).

Ameer

Sat, 12 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Modules load as root, not user.

Quote:
> as root, it does what it's supposed to.  (Well, assume I actually make an
> image using the GD functions.)  However, if I run it as a regular user, I
> get an error:

> /usr/local/lib/perl5/sun4-solaris/5.00404 /usr/local/lib/perl5
> /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/sun4-solaris/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl .) at - line 1
> BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at - line 1.

Check the permissions on all the directories and all the files under

readable and accessible by root, but not by the user you were trying.

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen                  |
Webmaster www.tradingpost.com.au    | I think I think, therefore I think I

Sun, 13 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. creating socket with user not root

2. Can't load module Tk, dynamic loading not available in this p

3. Installing module not as root

4. installing Module NOT as root

5. Installing modules when I'm not ROOT!

6. HELP: module installation without root password

7. HELP: module installation without root password

8. Not loading unneeded modules with use strict?

9. HELP: module installation without root password

10. Undefined, module not loading?, Bulkmail

11. perlcc: not loading modules

12. HELP: Dynamic Loading not available