Newbie looking for direction
Author Message
 Newbie looking for direction

I am currently writing a book about using the command line with Mac OS
X.

http://www.*-*-*.com/

This has naturally led me to explore some things that I have never
looked at before. Since Mac OS X comes with several languages (such as
Perl, but also TCL, Python, etc.) I thought it would be useful to learn
a bit of one of these languages, both to talk about using such tools in
my book, but also to learn to program. The sheer ubiquity of Perl makes
it seem like the best choice.

I have very limited programming experience (HyperCard and AppleScript
only), but would like to try and learn some of the basics of programming
Perl.

Would anyone like to point me in the right direction: books, tutorials,
on-line info, etc.?

Many thanks in advance,

Kirk

Sat, 16 Jul 2005 21:43:36 GMT
 Newbie looking for direction

Quote:

> I am currently writing a book about using the command line with Mac OS
> X.

> http://www.mcelhearn.com/unix.html

> This has naturally led me to explore some things that I have never
> looked at before. Since Mac OS X comes with several languages (such as
> Perl, but also TCL, Python, etc.) I thought it would be useful to learn
> a bit of one of these languages, both to talk about using such tools in
> my book, but also to learn to program. The sheer ubiquity of Perl makes
> it seem like the best choice.

> I have very limited programming experience (HyperCard and AppleScript
> only), but would like to try and learn some of the basics of programming
> Perl.

> Would anyone like to point me in the right direction: books, tutorials,
> on-line info, etc.?

> Many thanks in advance,

> Kirk

Perl comes with pretty comprehensive (notice I didn't say
comprehensible:-) documentation, as well as a tool to read and search
that documentation, called perldoc. To learn how to use perldoc, type

perldoc perldoc

Start by reading the FAQs. You can get an overview by typing

perldoc perlfaq

and you can read each of the nine perlfaq documents by typing something
along the lines of

perldoc perlfaq4

(substitute the desired number instead of the 4).

To find out if there is a FAQ dealing with the topic "foo" you would type

perldoc -q foo

For example, perldoc -q book will give you info about Perl books, and
you should avail yourself of this facility.

Good luck.

Sat, 16 Jul 2005 22:02:52 GMT
 Newbie looking for direction

Quote:

> Would anyone like to point me in the right direction: books,
> tutorials, on-line info, etc.?

In addition to what Andras already said: You can find the Perl
documentation also online at http://www.perldoc.com/.
The FAQ contains useful pointers to other sources of information,
including books.

Ciao,
        Harald

Sun, 17 Jul 2005 03:06:52 GMT

1. Looking for directions : spawning independent CGIs

2. Looking for the right direction

3. Looking for direction

4. Newbie Help/Advice/Direction

5. Newbie lost and needs direction

6. newbie needs direction getting started with Perl

7. Newbie: looking for Windows version of Perl

8. newbie looking for odbc support

9. newbie looking for a Regexp ...

10. Looking for help in process control (newbie)

11. Newbie looking for shell.pm

12. Newbie, looking for examples