Open(>>append mode) access time question...
Author Message
 Open(>>append mode) access time question...

Hello,

I'm writing to a log file to record every hit I receive on a particular
html page.  I'm getting concerned that the increasing size of the log
file may be requiring the cgi perl script to work harder to find the end
of the file.  Is this true?  If my log file becomes larger, will the
time it takes to add one line to that file increase?  Does an append do
a seek for the end of the file?  I'm running IRIX 6.2 with Perl 5.  The
ASCII text file is currently about 500K.

<code snippet>
open(LOG,">>some_file") || die;
print LOG "some_stuff";
close(LOG)
</code snippet>

Thanks.

--Peter--

Fri, 25 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. >>>>>EXPERIENCED CGI PROGRAMMER NEEDED FOR PROJECT

2. file append/read (+>>)

3. >>*Reverse Appending

5. Perl 1->2->3->4->5

6. WinNT->DBI->DBD::ODBC->Jet->INSERT == SQL-S1000

7. Perl->Time->Milliseconds

8. behavior of open "+>>"

9. file opened with "+>>" query

10. open in append mode