ODBC and Access memo fields
Author Message
 ODBC and Access memo fields

Quote:

> I am using Active Perl on NT using ODBC to access a memo field out of
> Access97. The problem is that I am only getting part of the memo field loaded
> into my perl variable.     Their is a long article in the memo field.  It seems
> due to some sort of character limitation because when i cut stuff out of the
> memo field I am able to load a bit more.  Thus I don't think it is due to
> some sort of unrecognizable caharacter or an EOF.

You may very well be hitting a limit on the amount of data that can go
through an Automation string. I think the limit is 255 bytes, but it has
been so long since I encountered that limit I can't remember. I don't
think this is an Access bug as much as it is the Automation system's bug.
I think the limit is built into the BSTR data type. It's been a long
time, though, since I dealt with that.

Scott

Tue, 23 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC and Access memo fields

Quote:

>> I am using Active Perl on NT using ODBC to access a memo field out of
>> Access97. The problem is that I am only getting part of the memo field loaded
>> into my perl variable. Their is a long article in the memo field.  It seems
>> due to some sort of character limitation because when i cut stuff out of the
>> memo field I am able to load a bit more.  Thus I don't think it is due to
>> some sort of unrecognizable caharacter or an EOF.

>You may very well be hitting a limit on the amount of data that can go
>through an Automation string. I think the limit is 255 bytes, but it has
>been so long since I encountered that limit I can't remember. I don't
>think this is an Access bug as much as it is the Automation system's bug.
>I think the limit is built into the BSTR data type. It's been a long
>time, though, since I dealt with that.

>Scott

Actually if you are using DBI you need to look at the documentation
for LongReadLen

$dbh->{LongReadLen}=1500;

Change this value to something larger than the largest entry in your
memo field, and you should be okay.

gus

Tue, 23 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC and Access memo fields

Quote:
> Thanks, I probably will just rewrite in Visual Basic

Ungrateful wretch - never darken our doorsteps again ;-}

/J\
--

Some of your questions answered:
<URL:http://www.btinternet.com/~gellyfish/resources/wwwfaq.htm>

Wed, 24 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC and Access memo fields
Thank you - By the way, what is DBI?

Quote:

> Actually if you are using DBI you need to look at the documentation
> for LongReadLen

> $dbh->{LongReadLen}=1500;

> Change this value to something larger than the largest entry in your
> memo field, and you should be okay.

> gus

Fri, 26 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. DBD::ODBC DBI and MS Access memo field

2. DBD::ODBC DBI and Microsoft Access memo field

3. DBD/DBI ODBC and Microsoft Access 97 memo field

4. DBD::ODBC truncates Memo type Access field

5. DBD:ODBC and memo fields

6. Perl DBI won't return Access Memo fields

7. Module DBI - MS-Access and MEMO-Field

8. Hints on using memo field from Access 97

9. Win32::ODBC and Access Date & Boolean Fields

10. DBD::ODBC MS-Access "MEMO" fields?

11. Perl DBD ODBC 0.20; MS Access; Memo fields

12. Using xbase.pm to slurp up images fronm a memo field