Using Tk or Win32::GUI in Win32
Author Message
 Using Tk or Win32::GUI in Win32

I recently downloaded ActivePerl from ActiveState.com.  I got it
working fine, but it says in the documentation that there is a way to
use the Tk module to do GUI programming in Win!  Also, I downloaded a
module called Win32::GUI.  I was able to produce a MsgBox call with it
and get it to actually DO a message box...but that was about it =).
Any help on this wierd yet interesting subject is greatly appreciated!

--
R.Joseph
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/

Tue, 11 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Tk or Win32::GUI in Win32
Hello,

ActiveState do also have Tk binaries for Windows. I built Perl and Tk myself
with a C compiler on Win-NT, but this does not matter since ActiveState Perl+Tk
are from the same source tree and should show identical results.

Take Tk rather than Win32::GUI since Tk programs are fully portable between
different operating systems and there are tons of existing books and tutorials
and manpages about Tk.

Really: Tk is the best I've ever seen for GUI programming, it is so easy to
learn that you don't even need any GUI builders.

Regards

Juergen

"R.Joseph" schrieb:

Quote:

> I recently downloaded ActivePerl from ActiveState.com.  I got it
> working fine, but it says in the documentation that there is a way to
> use the Tk module to do GUI programming in Win!  Also, I downloaded a
> module called Win32::GUI.  I was able to produce a MsgBox call with it
> and get it to actually DO a message box...but that was about it =).
> Any help on this wierd yet interesting subject is greatly appreciated!

> --
> R.Joseph
> http://www.24-7design.com
> http://bowdown.to

Tue, 11 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Using Tk or Win32::GUI in Win32

Quote:
> I recently downloaded ActivePerl from ActiveState.com.  I got it
> working fine, but it says in the documentation that there is a way to
> use the Tk module to do GUI programming in Win!  Also, I downloaded a
> module called Win32::GUI.  I was able to produce a MsgBox call with it
> and get it to actually DO a message box...but that was about it =).
> Any help on this wierd yet interesting subject is greatly appreciated!

The example code that comes with Win32::GUI shows how to do quite a
variety of the things that you would want to do - on the other hand
if you are looking at making code that is portable between Unix and
Win32 then you probably will want to use Tk - you can install the
Tk module for Activestate with PPM however beware as it does take a
while ....

/J\
--

Some of your questions answered:
<URL:http://www.btinternet.com/~gellyfish/resources/wwwfaq.htm>

Wed, 12 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. using perl/tk with win32::gui

2. win32::api and win32::gui

3. Win32::GUI vs TK

4. Failure when using Win32::GUI

5. Using Win32::GUI

6. User guide / Tutorials on using Win32-GUI

7. Online Web References and Tutorials on Using Win32::GUI

8. Problem using Win32::GUI Please help!

9. Win32 Error: 193 using Perl for Win32

10. win32 timer/timeout workaround using perl/tk

11. win32 timer/timeout workaround using perl/tk

12. Warning when using Perl Tk Drag and Drop on Win32