Settings locale failed
Author Message
 Settings locale failed

Hi,

I don't know what i did to cause this but i don't know how to correct it.

Every time i run perl scipts, i get the following error

perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

        LANGUAGE = (unset),

        LC_ALL = (unset),

        LANG = "en_US"

how can i fix it?

i am using  redhat 7.1

thanks

Tue, 16 Dec 2003 02:08:12 GMT
 Settings locale failed

Quote:

>Hi,
>perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

[etc.]

Try
        man perllocale

and check out the section "LOCALE PROBLEMS".

--

    Dept. of Physics
    Lafayette College, Easton PA 18042

Tue, 16 Dec 2003 02:16:02 GMT
 Settings locale failed

Quote:

> >Hi,

> >perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

> [etc.]

> Try
>    man perllocale

> and check out the section "LOCALE PROBLEMS".

...or, if you don't really care about the locale, just unset the $LANG
environment variable in your shell setup.

Anno

Tue, 16 Dec 2003 03:54:24 GMT
 Settings locale failed

Quote:

> > >Hi,

> > >perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

> > [etc.]

> > Try
> >       man perllocale

> > and check out the section "LOCALE PROBLEMS".

> ...or, if you don't really care about the locale, just unset the $LANG
> environment variable in your shell setup.

> Anno

I am using tcsh so i did setenv $LANG=""

but i still get this dreadfull message...
can someone please help me fix it.
thanks

Sat, 20 Dec 2003 03:28:39 GMT
 Settings locale failed

[...]

Quote:
> > ...or, if you don't really care about the locale, just unset the $LANG
> > environment variable in your shell setup.

> > Anno

> I am using tcsh so i did setenv $LANG=""

No you didn't, that's a syntax error.

Quote:
> but i still get this dreadfull message...
> can someone please help me fix it.
> thanks

    unsetenv LANG

Anno

Sat, 20 Dec 2003 15:36:17 GMT
 Settings locale failed
I've had this problem myself recently and I traced it down to the fact
that I didn't have the locales I was requesting setup.  I'm a debian user,
so I'm not sure if this is the same as RedHat, but the default install
only sets up the en_US locale, which is stored in /usr/lib/locale.

To get the others setup, I had to edit a configuration file
/etc/locale.gen and uncomment all of the locales that I required.

I then had to run locale-gen (as root), this generates the required
locales.  After this the locales all worked fine, for everything.

Note that this setups the locales using the strict xx_XX language codes,
so if you want french - french ( as apposed to canadian french fr_CA) you
have to specify fr_FR.  Likewise there is no "en" on it's own, if you want
these two letter versions you'll have to add an entry in
/etc/locale.alias.

Hope that helps.

Karl.

Quote:

>> > [etc.]

>> > Try

>> >   man perllocale

>> > and check out the section "LOCALE PROBLEMS".

>> ...or, if you don't really care about the locale, just unset the $LANG

>> environment variable in your shell setup.

>> Anno

>I am using tcsh so i did setenv $LANG=""

>but i still get this dreadfull message...
>can someone please help me fix it.
>thanks

Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:11:16 GMT

1. Setting locale failed

2. Perl message on Linux: Setting locale failed.

3. perl: warning: Setting locale failed.

4. Setting locale failed

5. Setting locale failed.

6. perl: warning: Setting locale failed

7. warning: setting locale failed (??) (5.004_04)

8. perl: warning: Setting locale failed

9. Setting locale failed.

10. perl: warning: Setting locale failed. Huh?

11. After RH 7.2 upgrade -- "perl: warning: Setting locale failed"

12. "Setting locale failed" error on 5.6 rpm upgrade