Problem calling executables from Win95 ('General failiure' on A: when there is no reference to A:)
Author Message
 Problem calling executables from Win95 ('General failiure' on A: when there is no reference to A:)

When calling any external program (located on my C: drive) from the
script my A: drive is accessed. I get the following message:

        General failure reading device  LP!!?
        Abort, Retry, Fail?

After selecting 'Fail' twice the execution seems to continue as
normal.

I have searched my registry for any references to both 'Perl' and 'A:'
and removed them all. I also deleted all my histories ('Run',
'Documents', etc).

No success.

When callng any of these programs without using the script they work
perfectly.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Kevin Posen
Johannesburg, South Africa

Thu, 25 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Problem calling executables from Win95 ('General failiure' on A: when there is no reference to A:)
;kjgblkjghnlkuy
Quote:
>When calling any external program (located on my C: drive) from the
>script my A: drive is accessed. I get the following message:

>    General failure reading device  LP!!?
>    Abort, Retry, Fail?

>After selecting 'Fail' twice the execution seems to continue as
>normal.

>I have searched my registry for any references to both 'Perl' and 'A:'
>and removed them all. I also deleted all my histories ('Run',
>'Documents', etc).

>No success.

>When callng any of these programs without using the script they work
>perfectly.

>Can anyone shed some light on this?

>Kevin Posen
>Johannesburg, South Africa

Thu, 01 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Problem calling executables from Win95 ('General failiure' on A: when there is no reference to A:)
) ;kjgblkjghnlkuy

Okay.  The original post didn't make it to my unworthy news server
so I can't complain.

) >When calling any external program (located on my C: drive) from the
) >script my A: drive is accessed. I get the following message:
) >
) >  General failure reading device  LP!!?
) >  Abort, Retry, Fail?

This is controlled by the SEM_FAILCRITICALERRORS flag of
SetErrorMode().  To use this Win32 API from Perl, get my
forthcoming v0.06 of Win32API::File or get Win32::API and
write your own interface to it.

The value of SetErrorMode() is inherited from the parent
process so how this is set will affect how other programs
behave.

For more information, get the Win32 SDK documentation from
Microsoft (or included with your Win32 C compiler).

Check
    http://www.metronet.com/~tye/alpha/Win32API/
if v0.06 of Win32API::File isn't on your CPAN server when you read
this.
--
Tye McQueen    Nothing is obvious unless you are overlooking something
         http://www.metronet.com/~tye/ (scripts, links, nothing fancy)

Sat, 03 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Called executable can't access net drive

2. Executable file creating executable file -- doesn't work

3. Calls to dll's in Win95

4. Calling DLL's with Perl (NT/WIN95)

5. Where's th FAQ?

6. The n'th character of a string

7. problem calling 'system' command

8. Perl on Win95 not working (newbie question) and flip /'s problem

9. Need advice on a project (wrt to tie'ing to a file and general strategy)

10. Need advice on a project (wrt to tie'ing to a file and general strategy)

11. getservbyname('smtp','tcp') Problem

12. Problem with calling an vb6 executable from perl script on IIS 5