Well Formed HTML - Failed Parameter Returns -- 911!
Author Message
 Well Formed HTML - Failed Parameter Returns -- 911!

The problem:  On some apparently well formed cgi-generated HTMLs (e.g.
syntax is checked => absolutely clean) and for no apparent reason,
when submitted on some users machines, no parameters are returned
except a cookie!  There is no rhyme nor reason.

I thought this was purely something on the users' sides, but I have a
particular instance that is very troublesome:

A simple form with a select (e.g. select the year for next form).

User selects and submits.

The CGI  reads the  parameters (including a cookie) from this form,
queries the data base, and returns another form for a user to
enter/modify data and submit.

For 3 of the four years, everything is perfect.  On one year, and one
year only, when this second cgi-generated form is submitted, the only
parameter returned is the cookie.  It's the same script, HTML pattern
file, etc., used by all years.  Everything is identical.  When I check
the resulting HTML in a syntax checker, it's 100% perfect!

Has anyone any suggestions or run across this type of problem before?
I think I have tried everything and still I cannot resolve this
problem.

I would truly appreciate any ideas.  Thanks, Eric.

basic system configuration:
Linux /Perl 5.6.0 /Apache 1.3.9
CGI.pm 2.78
AutoLoader.pm
Common.pm  --- a package of home-grown common subroutines for the app.

Mon, 17 May 2004 03:54:26 GMT
 Well Formed HTML - Failed Parameter Returns -- 911!

Quote:
> The problem:  On some apparently well formed cgi-generated HTMLs (e.g.
> syntax is checked => absolutely clean) and for no apparent reason,
> when submitted on some users machines, no parameters are returned
> except a cookie!  There is no rhyme nor reason.

> I thought this was purely something on the users' sides, but I have a
> particular instance that is very troublesome:

> A simple form with a select (e.g. select the year for next form).

> User selects and submits.

> The CGI  reads the  parameters (including a cookie) from this form,
> queries the data base, and returns another form for a user to
> enter/modify data and submit.

> For 3 of the four years, everything is perfect.  On one year, and one
> year only, when this second cgi-generated form is submitted, the only
> parameter returned is the cookie.  It's the same script, HTML pattern
> file, etc., used by all years.  Everything is identical.  When I check
> the resulting HTML in a syntax checker, it's 100% perfect!

> Has anyone any suggestions or run across this type of problem before?
> I think I have tried everything and still I cannot resolve this
> problem.

> I would truly appreciate any ideas.  Thanks, Eric.

Perhaps the value for that particular select option isn't set, or the
closing select tag comes before the option.  You'd have to post the HTML of
the form for anyone to tell you why is isn't working.

--
Brian Wakem

Mon, 17 May 2004 14:11:36 GMT

1. ODBC Driver access Problem error 911

2. Win32 Odbc Driver for Access 2000 Failes with 911 error

3. Win32 Odbc Driver for Access 2000 Failes with 911 error

4. MCNY Express - Your Emergency 911# For Web Development And Technical Needs

5. Problems w/QuoteHist Yahoo since 911

6. Best way to save HTML form data to XML

7. MCNY Express - Your Emergency 911# For Web Development And Technical Needs

8. 911: bug with tk and perl5.004_04

9. Removing carriage returns from HTML form inputs

10. Parameter passing from html form to *another html form* to s?

11. Best way to absolutize URL's in HTML, trying to avoid HTML::Parser

12. HTML::FORM - Setting radio buttons in a form