please help - cgi database access script / program for web page
Author Message
 please help - cgi database access script / program for web page

I wonder if anyone can help me.

I am looking to create a web page that accesses a database (can be in
Access, Paradox, DBase or any other major pc format - even delimited
text if it must be) and displays information from it.  The page should
contain a form with a radio button to detect which field (eg title,
subject, area) to search, and a textbox for the query string.  No write
function will be included, as it is going to be a directory for people
to view from.

Can anoyne tell me the correct way to proceed.  The server will probably
(more than likely) be linux or unix.  Do I _have_ to purchase a database
access program for the server, or is it possible to write a script to do
this.

I would be most grateful for any response.

--

     Alchemedia Interactive Ltd  |   http://www.*-*-*.com/
         "Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of {*filter*}"

Tue, 12 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 please help - cgi database access script / program for web page

Quote:

> I wonder if anyone can help me.

> I am looking to create a web page that accesses a database (can be in
> Access, Paradox, DBase or any other major pc format - even delimited
> text if it must be) and displays information from it.  The page should
> contain a form with a radio button to detect which field (eg title,
> subject, area) to search, and a textbox for the query string.  No write
> function will be included, as it is going to be a directory for people
> to view from.

> Can anoyne tell me the correct way to proceed.  The server will probably
> (more than likely) be linux or unix.  Do I _have_ to purchase a database
> access program for the server, or is it possible to write a script to do
> this.

> I would be most grateful for any response.

> --

>      Alchemedia Interactive Ltd  |   http://www.*-*-*.com/
>      -------------------------------------------------------------
>          "Reality is an illusion caused by a lack of {*filter*}"

Perhaps asking in the appropriate newsgroup would help.

comp.infosystems.www.authoring.cgi would probably be more appropriate for this
question.

You say "The server will probably (more than likely) be linux or unix." I
thought that Linux was a variant of Unix?

Bob

--
I have become death, destroyer of the worlds.

Tue, 12 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 please help - cgi database access script / program for web page

Quote:

> I am looking to create a web page that accesses a database (can be in
> Access, Paradox, DBase or any other major pc format - even delimited
> text if it must be) and displays information from it.
> Can anoyne tell me the correct way to proceed.

I'd encourage you to write it in Perl. Start by learning from a book like
the Llama. With that, and a little looking at online examples,
documentation, and sample code, you'll have it done in no time. Have fun
with it!

-- Tom Phoenix        http://www.teleport.com/~rootbeer/

Randal Schwartz Case:     http://www.lightlink.com/fors/

Wed, 13 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 please help - cgi database access script / program for web page

You might have a look to Jeff Rowe's book:
        Building Internet Database Servers with CGI (w/CD)
(http://cscsun1.larc.nasa.gov/~beowulf/index.html)

I hope this helps.
Santiago
     Santiago Alvarez Rojo

        http://www.gambito.com/santiago
                     PGP-key: http://gambito.com/santiago/pgp.txt

> > I am looking to create a web page that accesses a database (can be in
> > Access, Paradox, DBase or any other major pc format - even delimited
> > text if it must be) and displays information from it.

> > Can anoyne tell me the correct way to proceed.

> I'd encourage you to write it in Perl. Start by learning from a book like
> the Llama. With that, and a little looking at online examples,
> documentation, and sample code, you'll have it done in no time. Have fun
> with it!

> -- Tom Phoenix        http://www.teleport.com/~rootbeer/

> Randal Schwartz Case:     http://www.lightlink.com/fors/

Fri, 15 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. MS Access database / Web page forms

2. Need Help In Accessing Web pages

3. student needs help can't access database through the web

4. perl script for calling a java program,running the script through cgi of the web server

5. Please HELP on Databases access from Perl or C

6. Free help for programming students web page

7. Problem serving up Perl CGI script as web page

8. Problem serving up Perl CGI script as web page

9. Including a CGI script in a Web Page

10. Safely sending data between a multi-web paged perl based CGI Script

11. Safely sending data between a multi-web paged perl based CGI Script

12. Perl CGI scripts with read access contain passwords to database