Reading the data from another webiste into a text file
Author Message
 Reading the data from another webiste into a text file

Hello there..

I have an urgent requirement which is a show stopper....

I need to read the contents of a website and then save it in a text
file so as to process it to a database. This needs to be done every
morning. Basically it reads the share value of the stocks which is
displayed on a website.

It is like this ..

Let us say the website is www.stockstest.com

I have an ID to login to that wbsite

let me say it is Ian.

and let us say the data is displayed in URL and with my login.
http://www.*-*-*.com/

I need to capture the information that is displayed on the website
(based on the URL above) into a text file

I tried using the use IO::socket module in Perl but i am failing in
it.. I am basically a database guy with little familiarilty in
perl/cgi.

Please tell me how i need to do process and this is an urgent
requirement and most of the database process is done..

Thanks
Ian.

Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:12:34 GMT
 Reading the data from another webiste into a text file

Quote:
> Hello there..

> I have an urgent requirement which is a show stopper....

> I need to read the contents of a website and then save it in a text
> file so as to process it to a database. This needs to be done every
> morning. Basically it reads the share value of the stocks which is
> displayed on a website.

> It is like this ..

> Let us say the website is www.stockstest.com

> I have an ID to login to that wbsite

> let me say it is Ian.

> and let us say the data is displayed in URL and with my login.
> http://www.stockstest.com/cgi-bin/fxcsv/fxcsv?client_id=Ian&expr=xxx&...
> y&date=4/1/2001&nprices=5

> I need to capture the information that is displayed on the website
> (based on the URL above) into a text file

> I tried using the use IO::socket module in Perl but i am failing in
> it.. I am basically a database guy with little familiarilty in
> perl/cgi.

check into the LWP perl module...
--
Michael Budash
Michael Budash Consulting

Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:21:49 GMT
 Reading the data from another webiste into a text file
GET is a perl program that can do what you want.

JLM

--
Jeremy Mordkoff
Registrar & webmaster, New England Over-the-Hill Soccer League

Peace, Love, Truth, Beauty, Soccer

Quote:
> Hello there..

> I have an urgent requirement which is a show stopper....

> I need to read the contents of a website and then save it in a text
> file so as to process it to a database. This needs to be done every
> morning. Basically it reads the share value of the stocks which is
> displayed on a website.

> It is like this ..

> Let us say the website is www.stockstest.com

> I have an ID to login to that wbsite

> let me say it is Ian.

> and let us say the data is displayed in URL and with my login.

http://www.stockstest.com/cgi-bin/fxcsv/fxcsv?client_id=Ian&expr=xxx&...
y&date=4/1/2001&nprices=5

> I need to capture the information that is displayed on the website
> (based on the URL above) into a text file

> I tried using the use IO::socket module in Perl but i am failing in
> it.. I am basically a database guy with little familiarilty in
> perl/cgi.

> Please tell me how i need to do process and this is an urgent
> requirement and most of the database process is done..

> Thanks
> Ian.

Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:29:23 GMT
 Reading the data from another webiste into a text file
I'm never one to downplay the virtues of Perl, but in this case you can
easily get what you want with a neat little utility called wget. You can
pick up the Win32 source code and binaries here
http://www.interlog.com/~tcharron/wgetwin.html..

It works like a charm.

--
To e-mail me directly please change "nospam" in my e-mail address to
"yahoo".

Thanks,
Ganch

Quote:
> Hello there..

> I have an urgent requirement which is a show stopper....

> I need to read the contents of a website and then save it in a text
> file so as to process it to a database. This needs to be done every
> morning. Basically it reads the share value of the stocks which is
> displayed on a website.

> It is like this ..

> Let us say the website is www.stockstest.com

> I have an ID to login to that wbsite

> let me say it is Ian.

> and let us say the data is displayed in URL and with my login.

http://www.stockstest.com/cgi-bin/fxcsv/fxcsv?client_id=Ian&expr=xxx&...
y&date=4/1/2001&nprices=5

> I need to capture the information that is displayed on the website
> (based on the URL above) into a text file

> I tried using the use IO::socket module in Perl but i am failing in
> it.. I am basically a database guy with little familiarilty in
> perl/cgi.

> Please tell me how i need to do process and this is an urgent
> requirement and most of the database process is done..

> Thanks
> Ian.

Thu, 12 Aug 2004 22:26:12 GMT
 Reading the data from another webiste into a text file

[...]

Quote:
> I need to read the contents of a website and then save it in a text
> file so as to process it to a database. This needs to be done every
> morning. Basically it reads the share value of the stocks which is
> displayed on a website.

As an alternative, see if the Finance::Quote module (available from
CPAN) doesn't give you the stock price quotes you need in an easier and
more reliable way.

Fri, 13 Aug 2004 01:21:12 GMT

1. Reading the data from another webiste into a text file

2. Help Reading data in text files

3. Reading in data from a text file

4. Variable Subtitutions Of Data Read From Text Files

5. Data Files without using text files.

6. Reading data from a file and outputting to another file

7. comparing data from 2 text file.. please help

8. Config data not as text file but as module code

9. combining data in a text delimited file

10. Perl Script to append data to text file

11. Using text file to display form data

12. Splitting data from a text file