question about speeding perl development
Author Message
 question about speeding perl development

I have worked on projects that use perl to access sybase databases, and to
generate html to display the data.  This is in a Sun/Solaris environment.

Does anyone know of a development tool that would accelerate the creation of
html screen layouts, automatically produce the perl that would display the
screens, and perhaps have some support for linking database fields to screen
fields?

Thanks.

Mon, 21 Mar 2005 17:44:34 GMT
 question about speeding perl development

Quote:

> I have worked on projects that use perl to access sybase databases, and to
> generate html to display the data.  This is in a Sun/Solaris environment.

> Does anyone know of a development tool that would accelerate the creation of
> html screen layouts, automatically produce the perl that would display the
> screens, and perhaps have some support for linking database fields to screen
> fields?

A good programmer =0). Seriously, are you looking for a product like
drumbeat or something? Theres nothing generic I know of off hand
written in perl.

You might want to think of your implementation.

I like a mod_perl + perl XML suite for web apps.

I have sucessfully drawn distinct lines between logic | content |
presentation

Logic is handled in modules that depend on the requested filename.
Data is stored in a request object or session object, depending on the
necessity of the information's life.

Content is held in the requested filename as an xml document that has
user, session, and request specific dynamic data appended to it during
a trip through a SAX stream with the help of XML::SAX::Machines and
XML::SAX::Base. Most of it is a dumb filter, blindly dumping the data
in the objects mentioned above into XML format. Theres a hook to
insert per request handlers, that may execute code depending on the
content of the XML document.

The presentation is seperated from the other layers by a template file
that is (often) modified by an XSLT processor, which generates a
template valid for use with HTML::Template::XPath.

At this point the three come together when the (partially) dynamically
generated XML document data is massaged into the template document,
and sent to the user. The visual presentation is determined by
Cascading Stylesheets at the browser.

This makes things like proper language negoation or template selection
(my user may be logged on to thier PDA) nonplussed. I dont even have
to think about it. Also, programmers and web page developers dont even
have to meet, let alone speak to eachother.

All of this is possible in any language, but perl makes it VERY easy.
VERY, VERY easy.

After writing all this, I do believe if you look at AxKit
(http://www.axkit.org/), with XForms, tagLibs, and stuff it may do
everything you asked for in your OP. I may be switching to it soon, as
I built the above just to see how I could tie mod_perl and XML
together starting with a blank notepad screen.

mod_perl definitely speeds perl development (and execution time)
because it enforces - instestead of simply promoting - code reuse.
Writing a subroutine is no longer just a function definition or
class/object method, its an extension to your web server. If you need
a function or method... just call it. It lives in the same mod_perl
process that the currently executing code lives in, so it will always
be there.

Quote:
> Thanks.

No problem!

Todd W.

Sat, 26 Mar 2005 19:39:31 GMT
 question about speeding perl development

Quote:

> I have worked on projects that use perl to access sybase databases,
> and to generate html to display the data.  This is in a Sun/Solaris
> environment.

> Does anyone know of a development tool that would accelerate the
> creation of html screen layouts, automatically produce the perl that
> would display the screens, and perhaps have some support for linking
> database fields to screen fields?

You might want to consider some sort of html templating kit, to allow
you to hand off the html generation to a web designer, so that you can
manage the innards of the real programming (database stuff, etc)
yourself.

http://search.cpan.org/search?query=template+toolkit

--
my $n = 2; print +(split //, 'e,4c3H r ktulrnsJ2tPaeh'
."\n1oa! er")[map $n = ($n * 24 + 30) % 31, (42) x 26]

Sat, 26 Mar 2005 20:41:30 GMT

1. Development Question: Interfacing Perl with Sendmail

2. Development Question: Interfacing Perl with Sendmail

3. AWK vs PERL speed question

4. Perl memory and speed questions (Lots of code)

5. Perl tuning/speed question: all subsets of a set of length k -- keeping the inital order

6. perl oracle speed question

7. Perl vs. C speed question

8. AWK vs PERL speed question

9. Several Perl questions related to speed and memory use

10. Perl vs C: CGI speed question

11. Question about development environment on NT from unix perler

12. speed/argument-passing question