Newcomer to the world of Perl, CGI and HTML ...
Author Message
 Newcomer to the world of Perl, CGI and HTML ...

Hi there,

I've just startted in the world of Perl, CGI and HTML.
I am trying to do the following :

I have a Web page with a request for a serial number.
I need the entered serial number to be passed to the next web, and
displayed on the screen.

How do I go about doing this ?  I am currently using FrontPage 97.

Also, I will shortly need to pass another number to a Perl Script.
Firstly how do I pass it, and secondly, how do I access it in the Perl
Script.

Thanks for any help. It greatfully appreciated.

James.

Fri, 25 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Newcomer to the world of Perl, CGI and HTML ...

+ You have already read the docs for CGI.pm?  I've never used it (I don't
+ do CGI), but it has an excelent reputation for being fairly complete and
+ easy to use.

<enthusiasim>

Oh, indeed, it is! Where else can you invoke your CGI program on the command
line, and emulate the server-esque environment to test your program? I'm in
the process of converting over some older scripts that use the cgi-lib.pl
library to CGI.pm, and that feature alone makes it worthwhile!

James - I won't close out that tag just yet... ;)

Support the anti-Spam amendment <url:http://www.cauce.org/>
To cure your perl CGI problems, please look at:
<url:http://www.perl.com/perl/faq/idiots-guide.html>

Fri, 25 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Newcomer to the world of Perl, CGI and HTML ...

[posted and mailed]

Quote:

> Hi there,

> I've just startted in the world of Perl, CGI and HTML.
> I am trying to do the following :

> I have a Web page with a request for a serial number.
> I need the entered serial number to be passed to the next web, and
> displayed on the screen.

This isn't the best way to jump into c.l.p.misc.  CGI type questions are
valid Perl questions if and only if you need a Perl specific question.
What you are trying to do isn't Perl specific, it would be the same in
C, assembler, APL, ALGOL-W or whatever.

You have already read the docs for CGI.pm?  I've never used it (I don't
do CGI), but it has an excelent reputation for being fairly complete and
easy to use.  "perldoc CGI" if you have it installed.  If not, go to
CPAN and get it.

Quote:
> How do I go about doing this ?  I am currently using FrontPage 97.

Is FrontPage 97 written in Perl?  Does it have Perl specific options?
If not, this is off-topic.  Maybe they talk about it in one of the WWW
groups.  Or perhaps in the microsoft hierarchy.

Quote:
> Also, I will shortly need to pass another number to a Perl Script.
> Firstly how do I pass it, and secondly, how do I access it in the Perl
> Script.

Do you mean to launch a Perl process while sending it parameters?  You
pass it as an arguement like with any other executable.  You get it the
same way you get any other arguement.

Quote:
> Thanks for any help. It greatfully appreciated.

The best advice I can give is to read your documentation.  "perldoc
perl" should be a good starter.  Read the "perldata" to "perlsub" block
once or twice to get a basic idea how Perl works.  You are asking us to
give you a summary of the most basic things of Perl.

If you don't like reading on-line documentation, read "perldoc perlbook"
and go buy one of the books listed therein.  Make sure it is the second
edition (both have second releases in the past year).

Before posting to a newsgroup, you should read its FAQ (ours is posted
regularly, it is hard to miss it) and learn the basics of that
newsgroup.  Ours has pointers to more CGI/WWW specific groups that
should have more information for your number passing problem.

Hope this helps.

- doug

Fri, 25 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Newcomer With Problem (Creating HTML File)

2. perl / cgi hello world script fails

3. CGI.pm VS. The World!

4. NewComer-Perl-ZBS

5. newcomer Q - Perl - MS FrontPage - Windows95

6. Newcomer question on Multithreading In Active Perl MSWin32

7. Problem (Newcomer to Perl) please help

8. Help a newcomer, Please!

9. Newcomer using open2...

10. Newcomer problem :) Cus I'm 17 :)

11. World Renowned Perl Author Randal Schwartz Teaching Open Perl Class in NYC/NJ