Determining data types using Win32::ODBC
Author Message
 Determining data types using Win32::ODBC

Is there any way to determine data types of fields in Access database
operated through Win32::ODBC? If not, can it be done programmatically
(analyze the kind of information stored)?

Thu, 02 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Determining data types using Win32::ODBC

Quote:

> Is there any way to determine data types of fields in Access database
> operated through Win32::ODBC? If not, can it be done programmatically
> (analyze the kind of information stored)?

 Try opening the database as an object through Win32::OLE.  You can
access all the properties of the Fields through TableDefs.

I hope I don't get chastised for using more MS Access object words than
Perl words :-)

Andrew

Sat, 04 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Determining data types using Win32::ODBC

Quote:

> Is there any way to determine data types of fields in Access database
> operated through Win32::ODBC? If not, can it be done programmatically
> (analyze the kind of information stored)?

Yes you can.  All the documentation you need is in the Win32::ODBC
package.  There is a call to get a list of the fields, and you can
determine their SQL types programmatically.
Steve Linberg                       National Center on {*filter*} Literacy
Systems Programmer &c.                     University of Pennsylvania

Mon, 06 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Anybody against using Data::Type while Data::Types already exists on CPAN

2. DBI::ODBC, Win32 Access97 and Data Types

3. inserting binary data using Win32::ODBC

4. How to determine data-type?

5. Win32::ODBC and determining column definitions

6. possible type at C:\Perl\lib\Win32\ODBC.pm

7. Win32::ODBC & MS SQL Servers IMAGE data type, anyone used it?

8. Win32::ODBC & MS SQL Servers IMAGE data type, anyone used it?

9. Win32::ODBC & MS SQL Servers IMAGE data type, anyone used it?

10. Win32::OLE::Variant and variant data type VT_DISPATCH

11. Creating abstract data types (using modules)

12. how to use ODBC (or other) to determine data set field types?