Confused by RPC FAQ
Author Message
 Confused by RPC FAQ

This came out about a month ago from the FAQ server:

  How can I do RPC in Perl?

    A DCE::RPC module is being developed (but is not yet available) and will
    be released as part of the DCE-Perl package (available from CPAN). The
    rpcgen suite, available from CPAN/authors/id/JAKE/, is an RPC stub
    generator and includes an RPC::ONC module.

However, I see that we have PlRPC by Jochen Wiedmann (among others) out on
CPAN.  I'm wondering - is there a problem with PlRPC?  Is the FAQ just
outdated?

I'm thinking of trying this module out, unless someone out there can tell me
why I shouldn't or why I should wait for DCE::RPC.

Regards,

Dan

Wed, 11 Aug 2004 21:51:34 GMT
 Confused by RPC FAQ

Quote:

>This came out about a month ago from the FAQ server:

>  How can I do RPC in Perl?

>    A DCE::RPC module is being developed (but is not yet available) and will
>    be released as part of the DCE-Perl package (available from CPAN). The
>    rpcgen suite, available from CPAN/authors/id/JAKE/, is an RPC stub
>    generator and includes an RPC::ONC module.

>However, I see that we have PlRPC by Jochen Wiedmann (among others) out on
>CPAN.  I'm wondering - is there a problem with PlRPC?  Is the FAQ just
>outdated?

>I'm thinking of trying this module out, unless someone out there can tell me
>why I shouldn't or why I should wait for DCE::RPC.

The FAQ is sustained by readers, critics and contributors.  Give
the module a try.  See if it works for you then write up some changes to
the FAQ and submit them.

good luck.
--
    This space intentionally left blank

Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:40:35 GMT
 Confused by RPC FAQ

Quote:

> This came out about a month ago from the FAQ server:

>   How can I do RPC in Perl?

>     A DCE::RPC module is being developed (but is not yet available) and will

[snip]

Quote:
> However, I see that we have PlRPC by Jochen Wiedmann (among others) out on
> CPAN.  I'm wondering - is there a problem with PlRPC?  Is the FAQ just
> outdated?

i don't know enough about this to update the FAQ, and nobody responded with a
suggested answer.  if someone has an updated answer, please post it :)

--

The Perl Review - a new magazine devoted to Perl
<URL:http://www.perl.org/ThePerlReview/>

Thu, 12 Aug 2004 06:50:59 GMT

1. Help with RPC::PlServer and RPC::PlClient

2. Need some Help with RPC (PlRPC, RPC, etc) please

3. New bies quest

4. New bies quest

5. FAQ ? : Sun RPC's in perl wanted

6. FAQ: How can I do RPC in Perl?

7. FAQ: How can I do RPC in Perl?

8. FAQ: How can I do RPC in Perl?

9. FAQ: How can I do RPC in Perl?

10. FAQ: How can I do RPC in Perl?

11. FAQ: How can I do RPC in Perl?

12. RPC::pClient, RPC::pServer, Sys::Syslog, and BSDI 3.0?