Compiling Perl to .exe for Windows Platform
Author Message
 Compiling Perl to .exe for Windows Platform

I have been looking at compiling my Perl code to .exe and have looked
at Perl2exe and the Perlapp with the O'Reilly Perl Dev Kit.

Does anyone have suggestions as to which is better?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Compiling Perl to .exe for Windows Platform

Quote:
> I have been looking at compiling my Perl code to .exe and have looked
> at Perl2exe and the Perlapp with the O'Reilly Perl Dev Kit.

  I have been looking at eating ice cream for dessert and have looked
  at chocolate and the vanilla with the strawberry swirls.

Quote:
> Does anyone have suggestions as to which is better?

  Does anyone have suggestions as to which is better?

Please, c'mon now.

Which did what you want?  Which was easier to use?  Which one
fills the criteria for which you went looking for this kind of
tool in the first place?  Did you not try them?  What did YOU
think?

--
    Clinton A. Pierce              Teach Yourself Perl in 24 Hours!

"If you rush a Miracle Man,
        you get rotten Miracles." --Miracle Max, The Princess Bride

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Compiling Perl to .exe for Windows Platform

Quote:
>   I have been looking at eating ice cream for dessert and have looked
>   at chocolate and the vanilla with the strawberry swirls.

>   Does anyone have suggestions as to which is better?

> "If you rush a Miracle Man,
> you get rotten Miracles." --Miracle Max, The Princess Bride

Chocolate gets my vote!

Wyzelli
"Hello, my name is Inigo Monterio.  You killed my father.  Prepare to
die!" --Inigo, The Princess Bride

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Compiling Perl to .exe for Windows Platform

Quote:

>> I have been looking at compiling my Perl code to .exe and have looked
>> at Perl2exe and the Perlapp with the O'Reilly Perl Dev Kit.

>  I have been looking at eating ice cream for dessert and have looked
>  at chocolate and the vanilla with the strawberry swirls.

>> Does anyone have suggestions as to which is better?

>  Does anyone have suggestions as to which is better?

>Please, c'mon now.

>Which did what you want?  Which was easier to use?  Which one
>fills the criteria for which you went looking for this kind of
>tool in the first place?  Did you not try them?  What did YOU
>think?

I was hoping to leave the question open, that way I could get
different answers.  But since you pushed me....

What I did find was that the Perl Dev Kit which is actually
ActiveStates creates big executables.  I haven't found any command
line parameter to create small executables.

The Perl2exe has this ability but only in the Pro version, which I
didn't buy.

One question I do have is if I upgraded Perl2exe to the Pro version
and use the command line switches to compile a small or tiny .exe does
it then require external .dlls?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Compiling Perl to .exe for Windows Platform

Quote:

>>> I have been looking at compiling my Perl code to .exe and have looked
>>> at Perl2exe and the Perlapp with the O'Reilly Perl Dev Kit.

>>  I have been looking at eating ice cream for dessert and have looked
>>  at chocolate and the vanilla with the strawberry swirls.

>>> Does anyone have suggestions as to which is better?

>>  Does anyone have suggestions as to which is better?

>>Please, c'mon now.

>>Which did what you want?  Which was easier to use?  Which one
>>fills the criteria for which you went looking for this kind of
>>tool in the first place?  Did you not try them?  What did YOU
>>think?

>I was hoping to leave the question open, that way I could get
>different answers.  But since you pushed me....

>What I did find was that the Perl Dev Kit which is actually
>ActiveStates creates big executables.  I haven't found any command
>line parameter to create small executables.

>The Perl2exe has this ability but only in the Pro version, which I
>didn't buy.

>One question I do have is if I upgraded Perl2exe to the Pro version
>and use the command line switches to compile a small or tiny .exe does
>it then require external .dlls?

[not to ac123]
  this is one of the most asked questions here so it MUST go the faq,
  even if the question or the person behind seems to be inherently
  stupid.

[to you, ac123]
not you, ac123, just to understand the climate here.

if you want a small exe or a real compiler no one of them is "good".
both need the complete perl and library set which is large.
both are just packagers, don't do any compilation at all.

see the FAQ entry on compile
  perldoc -q compile
and
  perldoc perlcc

"quite good" is only perlcc, but you'll need to workaround the remaining
dynaload problem on win32. (not hard to do manually)
the compiler is nothing fancy yet, just an optimized eval, unneeded
functions are not removed from the image so will not get smaller than
the exe plus the libs. contrary to real compilers for dynamic
environments, such as for scheme, lisp, ml or haskell.
the current perl compiler is also just some kind of a packager, but does
at least "a true compilation" to bytecode or c, which is then eval'd.

the tiny exe from perl2exe just loads the big perl.dll

if you want tiny exe's please start doing assembler:
=> http://www.eskimo.com/~htak/win95asm/win95asm.htm

--
Reini Urban
http://xarch.tu-graz.ac.at/autocad/news/faq/autolisp.html

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 Compiling Perl to .exe for Windows Platform

Quote:

>One question I do have is if I upgraded Perl2exe to the Pro version
>and use the command line switches to compile a small or tiny .exe does
>it then require external .dlls?

Yes. Tiny just doesn't package the .dlls into the .exe. If you have several compiled (read
"packaged") "tiny" programs, then they can share the external .dlls. For only one program it takes
just as much disk space.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. Compile script to exe on many platforms

2. FYI : Compiling Perl to EXE (Windows or UNIX)

3. Howto compile Tk widgets on a windows platform??

4. . Informix Perl on DOS/Windows Platform

5. Unable to install libwww-perl on Windows '95 platform

6. Problem installing libwww-perl on Windows '95 platform

7. problem with exec of perl scripts in JAVA on windows platforms

8. Installing DBI and DBD modules on Windows platform/Perl 5.6

9. HELP: Perl on Windows Platform???

10. Distribution of perl for windows platforms

11. problem in JAVA exec of PERL scripts on Windows platforms

12. problem in JAVA exec of PERL scripts on Windows platforms