perl script won't run correctly inside emacs
Author Message
 perl script won't run correctly inside emacs

I wanted to execute a system command with a perl script in emacs.
So I put this perl statement:

system("xterm -e rlogin foo");

in foo.pl.  Then I invoke the compile command in the buffer foo.pl in
emacs,
which I defined to invoke perl followed by the filename of the buffer.
The xterm pops up for a split second, then goes away.

If I run perl foo.pl from inside a emacs shell buffer, the xterm stays
up correctly.

Anyone knows how tty, stty, etc... works please help!

Thanks.

-kin

Sat, 25 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 perl script won't run correctly inside emacs

Quote:

> I wanted to execute a system command with a perl script in emacs.
> So I put this perl statement:

> system("xterm -e rlogin foo");

> in foo.pl.  Then I invoke the compile command in the buffer foo.pl in
> emacs,
> which I defined to invoke perl followed by the filename of the buffer.
> The xterm pops up for a split second, then goes away.

> If I run perl foo.pl from inside a emacs shell buffer, the xterm stays
> up correctly.

Hey, it works for me.  :-)

If you know you have permission to rsh to the remote host, try
flipping the xterm and rlogin around:

    $remote = "foo";
    $display = "bar:0";
    system "rsh $remote -n 'exec xterm -display $display'";

This way your input takes a more direct route to xterm.  Also your
DISPLAY is correctly set.

I can't imagine why you'd want to invoke a perl program via M-x
compile.  Use M-x perldb to debug perl programs.

If you're looking for a way to position to compilation errors within
the perl source, like M-x compile, then grab my improved version of
perldb.

  ftp://ftp.cis.ufl.edu/pub/perl/CPAN/authors/id/JROGERS/perldb+.el.1.0...

--
Jay Rogers

Sat, 25 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. system() won't run shell script correctly

2. Please Help:My script runs on win32, it won't run on Unix

3. My script runs on win32, it won't run on Unix

4. Please Help: My script runs on win32, it won't run on Unix

5. perl 4 script that won't run under perl 5

6. script won't run...displays script text

7. Perl CGI scripts won't run without -w switch (under Apache 1.3.x)

8. Perl scripts won't run on Linux

9. Running perl scripts inside perl scripts (TIA)

10. IIS4.0 won't run perl scripts which call external commands

11. Server won't run Perl scripts (Fasttrack)

12. Server won't run Perl scripts