ActivePerl 5.6 on NT 4.0/IIS4 not working
Author Message
 ActivePerl 5.6 on NT 4.0/IIS4 not working

I've tried to setup the most recent version of ActivePerl 5.6 on a brand
new WinNT 4.0 webserver 128Mb RAM, SP4, IIS4.0.

The PerlScript examples included with the release worked on the server but
would not work on a browser on a workstation accessing the webserver.

Thinking that security setup might be a problem, I checked the settings for
the Perl directory.  Everyone had "full control".  I reset the directory
and subdirectories to give Everyone "full control".  PerlScript then ceased
to function on a browser on the server.

The install notes for Perl for IIS 4.0 were followed (ie. application
mappings were set and Path was correct).

Any ideas on what I need to do to get PerlScript to run on a NT 4.0
webserver?

Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:17:40 GMT
 ActivePerl 5.6 on NT 4.0/IIS4 not working
Perl must be set up as shellcgi & the default MIME type for Perl must be
changed to execute. Read the AcitveState FAQ for IIS/Perl...
    Michael
--
== CigarPool ==
http://www.cigarpool.com

Quote:
> I've tried to setup the most recent version of ActivePerl 5.6 on a brand
> new WinNT 4.0 webserver 128Mb RAM, SP4, IIS4.0.

> The PerlScript examples included with the release worked on the server but
> would not work on a browser on a workstation accessing the webserver.

> Thinking that security setup might be a problem, I checked the settings
for
> the Perl directory.  Everyone had "full control".  I reset the directory
> and subdirectories to give Everyone "full control".  PerlScript then
ceased
> to function on a browser on the server.

> The install notes for Perl for IIS 4.0 were followed (ie. application
> mappings were set and Path was correct).

> Any ideas on what I need to do to get PerlScript to run on a NT 4.0
> webserver?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 ActivePerl 5.6 on NT 4.0/IIS4 not working
if you're talking about ex. "Hello" and "Calculator" etc.
AFAIK, these are client-side scripts.

Quote:
> I've tried to setup the most recent version of ActivePerl 5.6 on a brand
> new WinNT 4.0 webserver 128Mb RAM, SP4, IIS4.0.

> The PerlScript examples included with the release worked on the server but
> would not work on a browser on a workstation accessing the webserver.

> Thinking that security setup might be a problem, I checked the settings
for
> the Perl directory.  Everyone had "full control".  I reset the directory
> and subdirectories to give Everyone "full control".  PerlScript then
ceased
> to function on a browser on the server.

> The install notes for Perl for IIS 4.0 were followed (ie. application
> mappings were set and Path was correct).

> Any ideas on what I need to do to get PerlScript to run on a NT 4.0
> webserver?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 ActivePerl 5.6 on NT 4.0/IIS4 not working

Quote:

>if you're talking about ex. "Hello" and "Calculator" etc.
>AFAIK, these are client-side scripts.

These are the examples that I am trying to run.  What is your point?

I could (but no longer can) run these examples from a browser on the server
but not on a browser located elsewhere.  I assume that there is something
wrong with my Perl setup.  I need to have Perl that is embedded in a web
page on the server, execute when access by a browser on another machine.

Thanks,
Charles

Quote:

>> I've tried to setup the most recent version of ActivePerl 5.6 on a brand
>> new WinNT 4.0 webserver 128Mb RAM, SP4, IIS4.0.

>> The PerlScript examples included with the release worked on the server but
>> would not work on a browser on a workstation accessing the webserver.

>> Thinking that security setup might be a problem, I checked the settings
>for
>> the Perl directory.  Everyone had "full control".  I reset the directory
>> and subdirectories to give Everyone "full control".  PerlScript then
>ceased
>> to function on a browser on the server.

>> The install notes for Perl for IIS 4.0 were followed (ie. application
>> mappings were set and Path was correct).

>> Any ideas on what I need to do to get PerlScript to run on a NT 4.0
>> webserver?

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 ActivePerl 5.6 on NT 4.0/IIS4 not working

Quote:

>Perl must be set up as shellcgi & the default MIME type for Perl must be
>changed to execute. Read the AcitveState FAQ for IIS/Perl...
>    Michael

Can you point me to the specific location in the FAQ.  I read it but don't
find a reference to "shellcgi" or "MIME" (To bad it isn't searchable).

As I pointed out in my original message, I followed the install notes from
the ActiveState documentation; specifically:

Quote:
>Click the Configuration button. This opens the Application Configuration dialog.

>Select the App Mappings tab and click the Add button. You see the Add/Edit Application Extension Mapping dialog.

>To run Perl as a CGI application, type the full path to Perl.EXE followed by %s %s. When a script is executed,
> the first %s will be replaced by the full path to the script, and the second %s will be replaced by the script parameters.

>To run Perl for ISAPI, type the full path to PerlIS.DLL. The %s %s is not required for ISAPI DLLs.

>In the Extension field, type .pl or .plx (or whatever extension you want to use).

>The application mapping is now complete. Click the OK button and click OK to dismiss any remaining dialogs/property
>sheets.

>Close the IIS 4.0 Internet Service Manager.

If there is more to do, I would appreciate direction.

Charles

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 ActivePerl 5.6 on NT 4.0/IIS4 not working
Charles:
    Here's the general FAQ:
http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/docs/index.html
To get to the web stuff, on the left, click on 'Web Server Config', also
make sure you read the 'Windows 9x/NT/2000' section. My bad on the
shellcgi - I was using iPlanet & that was iPlanet specific. If you are using
IIS it doesn't apply. When I ran ActiveState with IIS, it didn't recognize
my Perl scrips either at first. I had to uninstall Perl, then make sure IIS
was serving properly, then reinstall Perl. When I did that it asked me if I
wanted to add IIS support, I clicked yes & it worked.
    Michael
--
== CigarPool ==
http://www.cigarpool.com

Quote:

> >Perl must be set up as shellcgi & the default MIME type for Perl must be
> >changed to execute. Read the AcitveState FAQ for IIS/Perl...
> >    Michael

> Can you point me to the specific location in the FAQ.  I read it but don't
> find a reference to "shellcgi" or "MIME" (To bad it isn't searchable).

> As I pointed out in my original message, I followed the install notes from
> the ActiveState documentation; specifically:

> >Click the Configuration button. This opens the Application Configuration
dialog.

> >Select the App Mappings tab and click the Add button. You see the

Add/Edit Application Extension Mapping dialog.
Quote:

> >To run Perl as a CGI application, type the full path to Perl.EXE followed

by %s %s. When a script is executed,
Quote:
> > the first %s will be replaced by the full path to the script, and the

second %s will be replaced by the script parameters.
Quote:

> >To run Perl for ISAPI, type the full path to PerlIS.DLL. The %s %s is not

required for ISAPI DLLs.
Quote:

> >In the Extension field, type .pl or .plx (or whatever extension you want
to use).

> >The application mapping is now complete. Click the OK button and click OK

to dismiss any remaining dialogs/property

> >sheets.

> >Close the IIS 4.0 Internet Service Manager.

> If there is more to do, I would appreciate direction.

> Charles

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 ActivePerl 5.6 on NT 4.0/IIS4 not working
It didn't work for me.

I uninstalled, removed the old Perl directory and reinstalled.  (The rights
have changed. Everyone is now "RX".)

Still no go.  Everything is setup as directed in the ActiveState
documentation for IIS 4.0.  The examples work when accessed via
d:\perl\html but not when accessed via the Internet ( http://cbjd.net/perl
 ) (I get the same errors when accessing this page at
http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/docs/index.html using IE5.1)

The specific error that I get with "Calculator" is "A RunTime error has
occurred. Do you wish to debug?   Line: 178  Error: Object expected"

The "Hello" application works for VBScript but nothing happens with the
PerlScript button.

I've tried this on 2 different PCs with the exact same results.

Thanks,
Charles

Quote:

>Charles:
>    Here's the general FAQ:
>http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/docs/index.html
>To get to the web stuff, on the left, click on 'Web Server Config', also
>make sure you read the 'Windows 9x/NT/2000' section. My bad on the
>shellcgi - I was using iPlanet & that was iPlanet specific. If you are using
>IIS it doesn't apply. When I ran ActiveState with IIS, it didn't recognize
>my Perl scrips either at first. I had to uninstall Perl, then make sure IIS
>was serving properly, then reinstall Perl. When I did that it asked me if I
>wanted to add IIS support, I clicked yes & it worked.
>    Michael

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 ActivePerl 5.6 on NT 4.0/IIS4 not working
Sorry Charles,
    I'm out of ideas...
        Michael
--
== CigarPool ==
http://www.cigarpool.com

Quote:
> It didn't work for me.

> I uninstalled, removed the old Perl directory and reinstalled.  (The
rights
> have changed. Everyone is now "RX".)

> Still no go.  Everything is setup as directed in the ActiveState
> documentation for IIS 4.0.  The examples work when accessed via
> d:\perl\html but not when accessed via the Internet ( http://cbjd.net/perl
>  ) (I get the same errors when accessing this page at
> http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/docs/index.html using
IE5.1)

> The specific error that I get with "Calculator" is "A RunTime error has
> occurred. Do you wish to debug?   Line: 178  Error: Object expected"

> The "Hello" application works for VBScript but nothing happens with the
> PerlScript button.

> I've tried this on 2 different PCs with the exact same results.

> Thanks,
> Charles

> >Charles:
> >    Here's the general FAQ:
> >http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/docs/index.html
> >To get to the web stuff, on the left, click on 'Web Server Config', also
> >make sure you read the 'Windows 9x/NT/2000' section. My bad on the
> >shellcgi - I was using iPlanet & that was iPlanet specific. If you are
using
> >IIS it doesn't apply. When I ran ActiveState with IIS, it didn't
recognize
> >my Perl scrips either at first. I had to uninstall Perl, then make sure
IIS
> >was serving properly, then reinstall Perl. When I did that it asked me if
> >wanted to add IIS support, I clicked yes & it worked.
> >    Michael

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 ActivePerl 5.6 on NT 4.0/IIS4 not working

Quote:

>>I've tried to setup the most recent version of ActivePerl 5.6 on a brand
>>new WinNT 4.0 webserver 128Mb RAM, SP4, IIS4.0.

>>The PerlScript examples included with the release worked on the server but
>>would not work on a browser on a workstation accessing the webserver.

To clarify this statement, PerlScript runs when the browser is pointed to
the directory (d:\perl\html), but not thru IIS ( http://cbjd.net/perl ).  I
get the same errors when I try to access the examples at:
http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/eg/IE3Samples/index.htm

Quote:

>>Thinking that security setup might be a problem, I checked the settings for
>>the Perl directory.  Everyone had "full control".  I reset the directory
>>and subdirectories to give Everyone "full control".  PerlScript then ceased
>>to function on a browser on the server.

PerlScript never worked through IIS, but did work when IE4 (and IE 5) were
pointed at the directory.

Quote:

>>The install notes for Perl for IIS 4.0 were followed (ie. application
>>mappings were set and Path was correct).

>>Any ideas on what I need to do to get PerlScript to run on a NT 4.0
>>webserver?

>Make sure the Script Map entry has the form:
>    "C:\perl\bin\perl.exe %s %s"

The mappings are set as listed in the documentation for ActivePerl
ext.    Path                    Exclusions
.pl = d:\perl\perl\bin\perl.exe %s %s    Put,Delete
.plx = d:\perl\perl\bin\perIIS.dll

I've uninstalled, deleted the directory, and re-installed.
Still can't get the examples to run but:

One Website had another extension:
.cgi=d:\perl\perl\bin\perIIS.dll

I created a hello.cgi and it worked.  I then created a helloworld.pl and it
worked.  I created hello.htm which called hello.cgi and it worked.
But PerlScript embedded in HTML does not work.

Anything with the following does not work.
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="PerlScript">
or
<script language=PerlScript runat=Server>

Thanks,
Charles

Quote:

>A common mistake is to only have one %s, but of course perl needs two: one for
>the script to source, and one for any arguments to the script.

>-=-=-=-=-= Remove *'s for my real E-Mail =-=-=-=-=-

helloworld.pl from
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q150/6/29.ASP
Quote:
>print "HTTP/1.0 200 OK\n";
>print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";

>print "<HTML>\n";
>print "<HEAD>\n";
>print "<TITLE>Hello World</TITLE>\n";
>print "</HEAD>\n";
>print "<BODY>\n";
>print "<H4>Hello World</H4>\n";
>print "<P>\n";
>print "Your IP Address is $ENV{REMOTE_ADDR}.\n";
>print "<P>";
>print "<H5>Have a nice day</H5>\n";
>print "</BODY>\n";
>print "</HTML>\n";

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. PPM not work on ActivePerl 5.6 for NT ?

2. fileevent in NT with ActivePerl 5.6

3. backticks not working fine on Perl 5 - Windows NT 4.0 peer web server

4. Works on unix not on NT 4.0

5. PERL(NT) for Win32 and SYSTEM Calls in NT 4.0 (worked in NT 3.51)

6. tie with open2 worked on 5.005 but not 5.6

7. DBI Not working the same in perl 5.6

8. Perl Scripts served by NT IIS4 / ActivePerl 5.6 cause Netscape to display "File - Save As" Dialog rather than viewing Perl output

9. Chdir not working since I went to IIS4

10. ActiveState: Commands Using BackQuotes Do not work (NT4-IIS4.0)

11. Help: Install ActivePerl on NT 4.0

12. ActivePerl and Win NT 4.0