Making sure 'perl -v' works
Author Message
 Making sure 'perl -v' works

I've just tried to determine the version of Perl running on my client's
server and it tells me that it is version 4. However, they have the
/usr/local/lib/perl5 libraries on it.

I told them they don't have the current version of the Perl interpreter, so
they told me to try an ISP server they are borrowing as well. Again, the
same results.

Before I tell them they've got to get the latest and greatest Perl
interpreter, I want to make sure that 'perl -v' is being accurate. I don't
understand how they have the proper libraries, but have an out-of-date
interpreter.

Can anyone explain this discrepancy?

Thanks so much in advance.
-------------------
Stephen Bohler
Oxford
United Kingdom

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Making sure 'perl -v' works

Quote:
>I've just tried to determine the version of Perl running on my client's
>server and it tells me that it is version 4. However, they have the
>/usr/local/lib/perl5 libraries on it.

Where are you getting perl from?  Ie, what is the output of

which perl

Occasionally I get bit by the fact that on my Auspex, they have
installed /bin/perl which is version 4, and I have installed 5.00X
in /usr/local/bin.  Since bin shows up in my path before
/usr/local/bin, the perl version is 4.  However, if you set your
shebang (#!) correctly and chmod it I get the right version, it's just
when I do a "perl program" that I get a problem.

After an hour or so of debugging, I realized that require 5; is a
_really_ good thing for reminding me of this problem.

Quote:
>Can anyone explain this discrepancy?

This is as good a guess as I can make without more info.

--

Unix System Administrator, Medtronic Micro-Rel
"Subtlety is the art of saying what you think and getting out of the way

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Making sure 'perl -v' works

Quote:
>I've just tried to determine the version of Perl running on my client's
>server and it tells me that it is version 4. However, they have the
>/usr/local/lib/perl5 libraries on it.
[snip]
>Can anyone explain this discrepancy?

Find out where your perl -v is going.  To make a random guess, I would
also suggest looking for /usr/local/lib/perl5 ( or something similar ).  It
is not uncommon to keep the perl4 binaries named perl when there is a great
deal of code that depends on perl4isms.

-----

Evil Overlord Rule #33: No matter how attractive certain members of the
rebellion are, there is probably someone just as attractive who is not
desperate to kill me. Therefore, I will think twice before ordering a
prisoner sent to my bedchamber.

Mon, 09 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Making sure 'perl -v' works

Quote:

>I've just tried to determine the version of Perl running on my client's
>server and it tells me that it is version 4. However, they have the
>/usr/local/lib/perl5 libraries on it.

>I told them they don't have the current version of the Perl interpreter, so
>they told me to try an ISP server they are borrowing as well. Again, the
>same results.

>Before I tell them they've got to get the latest and greatest Perl
>interpreter, I want to make sure that 'perl -v' is being accurate. I don't
>understand how they have the proper libraries, but have an out-of-date
>interpreter.

>Can anyone explain this discrepancy?

>Thanks so much in advance.
>-------------------
>Stephen Bohler
>Oxford
>United Kingdom

   Look for a binary called "perl5".  I've seen ISP's that encourage the
use of Perl 4 but also have Perl 5 available for those that really want it.

                                                Bill
--
Sending me unsolicited email through mass emailing about a product or
service your company sells ensures that I will never buy or recommend your

Fri, 13 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Making sure 'perl -v' works

:    Look for a binary called "perl5".  I've seen ISP's that encourage the
: use of Perl 4 but also have Perl 5 available for those that really want it.

Just out of curiosity, what benefit would an ISP gain through doing
this?  In other words, why encourage use of a 'backlevel', unsupported
version of Perl?  Presumably they have some good reason.

 --*--    Home Page: http://www.cinenet.net/users/cberry/home.html
   |      Member of The HTML Writers Guild: http://www.hwg.org/
       "Every man and every woman is a star."

Sun, 22 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Making sure 'perl -v' works

Quote:

>> Look for a binary called "perl5".  I've seen ISP's that encourage the
>> use of Perl 4 but also have Perl 5 available for those that really want
>> it.
> Just out of curiosity, what benefit would an ISP gain through doing
> this?  In other words, why encourage use of a 'backlevel', unsupported
> version of Perl?  Presumably they have some good reason.

Often it's not so much that they're encouraging the use of Perl 4 as it is
that their customers have a lot of Perl 4 scripts written and running
which assume that /usr/bin/perl is version 4 and would break under version
5.  They've therefore installed version 5 as perl5 to avoid breakage.

--

Mon, 23 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Making sure 'perl -v' works

Quote:

>Just out of curiosity, what benefit would an ISP gain through doing
>this?  In other words, why encourage use of a 'backlevel', unsupported
>version of Perl?  Presumably they have some good reason.

   To be honest, I have no idea. :)  Here's a somewhat mysterious quote
from http://www.va.pubnix.com/www/www-cgi.html,(WWW hosting service):

--
If you want to use Perl 5, be aware that it is not as stable as Perl 4,
and it may use more files external to its binary than Perl 4

   Not sure why they think this...
                                                Bill

--
Sending me unsolicited email through mass emailing about a product or
service your company sells ensures that I will never buy or recommend your
product or service.

Sat, 28 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Making keyboard's keypad work with Tk

2. 'making' perl

3. making 'perl' (help)

4. 'making' perl

5. making 'find' follow soft links

6. Making a user's tty's STDOUT

7. Simple I'm Sure But....

8. Files exploding on me and I'm not sure why

9. use strict sure isn't very strict

10. References (I'm not sure if the old message posted)

11. RegExp Question (something stupid, I'm sure :)