module for object tree with inheritance
Author Message
 module for object tree with inheritance

As part of a project at work writing and extensible, programmable,
dynamic-object system to be accessed via web browsers (too many
buzzwords!), I've scratched a module for an inheritance tree.  Nodes have
properties; properties are inherited down the tree; and so object methods
are searched for dynamically with calls like:

  &{$self->FindObject ('object' => $start_node, 'property' => $find_me)}
    (...args to method...)

It also has a default object, and fallback methods when all else fails.

I really feel like I've been reinventing the world (a very bad thing),
but have been unable to find similar functionality while searching the
CPAN.

Two questions:

1. Am I in fact reinventing the world?  If so, where can I find someone's
else's solution?

2. If this is new ground, what do I need to do to make it usable by
others, if anyone would be interested?

Thanks,
--binkley, not yet just another perl hacker, but working on it

Wed, 28 Oct 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 module for object tree with inheritance

Quote:
>As part of a project at work writing and extensible, programmable,
>dynamic-object system to be accessed via web browsers (too many
>buzzwords!), I've scratched a module for an inheritance tree.  Nodes have
>properties; properties are inherited down the tree; and so object methods
>are searched for dynamically with calls like:

>  &{$self->FindObject ('object' => $start_node, 'property' => $find_me)}
>    (...args to method...)

>It also has a default object, and fallback methods when all else fails.

>I really feel like I've been reinventing the world (a very bad thing),
>but have been unable to find similar functionality while searching the
>CPAN.

>Two questions:

>1. Am I in fact reinventing the world?  If so, where can I find someone's
>else's solution?

Buzzwords can be hard to parse by human beings - so I may be wrong in answering
with this question: Is what you are trying to do covered by Graham Barr's
UNIVERSAL module?
Some one elses "solution" can always be found on the module list posted to
comp.lang.perl.announce and/or htmlified and stuck on CPAN - CPAN is the place
to look - look for CPAN at http://perl.com/CPAN or
ftp ftp.funet.fi pub/languages/perl/CPAN/CPAN.html (or the module list
itself...

Quote:
>Thanks,
>--binkley, not yet just another perl hacker, but working on it

Peter Prymmer

Thu, 05 Nov 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Traversing Inheritance Tree

2. Seeking Tree::Base or other binary tree module to avoid reinventing the wheel

3. Perl parent-child object inheritance

4. Object Oriented/Inheritance Questions

5. Pseudohash objects and multiple inheritance implemented - some questions.

6. GD.pm - inheritance and objects

7. Inheritance broken when objects share a file?

8. Newbie question: object inheritance in perl/Tk

9. Object inheritance question

10. Newbie question: object inheritance in perl/Tk

11. Tree of user defined objects

12. translating an OS directory recursively into a tree object