Perl/Tk vs. Tcl/Tk
Author Message
 Perl/Tk vs. Tcl/Tk

Quote:

>I am new to Perl/Tk and Tcl/Tk. I am wondering if anyone has evaluated which
>one of this flavor is suitable for doing large GUI projects on a variety of
>platforms such as SunOS, Solaris, HP_UX, AIX, and MS Windows using SNMP.

My $.02:

Tk is more stable based on Tcl because that is where all the original
development work is done (the Sun Tcl group).  Perl, however, is a more
capable language.  Of course, Tcl is meant to make use of being embedded in
C (or vice versa, since it now supports shared libraries on most platforms,
including Windows DLLs).  Tk currently only makes it to windows with Tcl,
with no guarantee on a timeline for Perl/Tk-Windows.  Also, Tcl will have
sockets in core in about a month or so.

If you really want to look at a good multi-platform solution (both versatile
language and good GUI all in one), you might want to take a look at python
( http://www.*-*-*.com/ ).  It uses Tk as well for the interface, although
I'm not sure of the GUI status on Windows or Mac.
--
     Jeffrey Hobbs                           Office: 503/346-3998

Tue, 07 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Perl/Tk vs. Tcl/Tk

Hi,

I am new to Perl/Tk and Tcl/Tk. I am wondering if
anyone has evaluated which one of this flavor is
suitable for doing large GUI projects on a variety
of platforms such as SunOS, Solaris, HP_UX, AIX, and
MS Windows using SNMP. I am sure both has pros and cons,
but I would like to hear from people what they think.

Thanks in advance,
/Mani

Tue, 07 Apr 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Perl/Tk vs. Tcl/Tk version numbering

2. opinions on tcl/tk vs perl/tk

3. perl/tk vs.tcl/tk

4. Perl/TK vs tcl/Tk

5. perl/tk vs.tcl/tk

6. Tcl/Tk vs. perl/Tk

7. Tcl and Tcl::Tk w/ Tcl 7.5, 7.6 and Tk 4.1, 4.2

8. Tcl::Tk and Tcl modules are available to provide Tk GUI to perl

9. Perl/tk vs Tcl

10. Improving Tcl/Tk program with Perl/Tk?

11. starting Tcl/Tk from perl/Tk

12. tcl/tk->perl/tk translator