Help me with a simple cgi/perl script
Author Message
 Help me with a simple cgi/perl script

[courtesy copy sent via email]

Quote:
> Hi everybody,

> I'm new to cgi, but want a script on my webpage. I've looked around on the
> web but couldn't find a script that does everything I want... I know most
of
> you will say, go out and buy a good book 'bout cgi and perl, but I only
need
> 1 simple script on my page and I'm not buying a book for that...

"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach a man to fish and he
will eat for a lifetime."  Cheesy but true, to a point.  What happens if you
later want to extend the functionality of the script?  What if you need
support on it?  Or, god forbid, what if, just if, one day, you DO need
another script?  If you purchase the Official Guide to Programming with
CGI.pm, it can teach you all you will reasonably need for your needs, and
CGI.pm comes with the standard Perl distribution.  I grow weary of people
asking us for free scripts.  We will provide peer support, even if it is (in
my opinion) sometimes a little harsh, but we are NOT about free coding - it
goes against most of what we believe in in this community.

Quote:
> SNIP program description <
> How to do this in a CGI script?
> Please help me finnishing this simple script so I can make my webpage
> interactive...

What you want will take no time at all.  With a copy of Learning Perl and
the above mentioned book, you will probably be able to do it in a weekend or
so.  You will find that other will agree with me, so kicking and screaming
will not help.  If you still refuse to do it yourself, hire a good
{*filter*}r, but please don't expect this for free in any case.

Jason Simms

Wed, 10 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

--

Eugene

A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming, is not worth knowing.

Alan J. Perlis

Thu, 11 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Help me with a simple cgi/perl script

<URL::">
-- Hi everybody,
--
-- I'm new to cgi, but want a script on my webpage. I've looked around on the
-- web but couldn't find a script that does everything I want... I know most of
-- you will say, go out and buy a good book 'bout cgi and perl, but I only need
-- 1 simple script on my page and I'm not buying a book for that...

You don't have to buy a book. But you could read the documentation
that comes with Perl.

Read the documentation first, and if you have specific questions about
your script, feel free to ask them. But don't bother us with "write my
script for me" questions.

Abigail
--

0)x299=>C=>(0)x9=>XC=>(0)x39=>L=>(0)x9=>XL=>(0)x29=>X=>IX=>0=>0=>0=>V=>IV=>0=>0
=>I=>$r=-2449231+gm_julian_day+time);do{until($r<$#r){$_.=$r[$#r];$r-=$#r}for(;

Fri, 12 Oct 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Help with simple simple perl script...

2. Help needed with CGI script (a very simple problem)

3. Need a Simple but Unique CGI script - please help

4. help with simple registration CGI script

5. simple cgi perl script....

6. WANTED:simple Perl CGI script

7. Totally simple PERL cgi script

8. need help with simple perl CGI form

9. Help me with a simple input/output CGI program using perl

10. HELP! with VERY simple form example (CGI/Perl)

11. guidance for the benighted? (simple perl script help)

12. *** HELP perl/cgi script help output~