Guru help needed - Posting from perl-cgi to newsgroup
Author Message
 Guru help needed - Posting from perl-cgi to newsgroup

Re: Guru help needed - Posting from perl-cgi to

gbacon> Please help me Mr. Guru (whoever you are) I
gbacon> want to find a way to post data directly
gbacon> into certain newsgroups straight from our
gbacon> cgi

I would be sure to test this only on local "test"
groups first before hitting USENET in toto with
it...

gbacon> My programmer has never done this type of
gbacon> thing before and we cannot find anything in
gbacon> the perl books or out on the internet on how
gbacon> to interface a cgi with a news server (just
gbacon> for posting)

Interaction with a news server has nothing to do
with CGI, which is just the interface between the
WWW server and the code dealing with the HTTP
request (here: your perl program).

To talk to a news server via NNTP in perl, use the
Net::NTTP module, more info:

    perldoc Net::NNTP

If you don't have it, go to http://www.*-*-*.com/
get it there.

gbacon> We just basically want to know how to pass
gbacon> information (subject line, reply to address,
gbacon> and message body) to my web hoster's news
gbacon> server (nntp.best.com) from a cgi program
gbacon> running on commerce1.ba.best.com>

To handle the CGI interface you should use

    CGI.pm     (cunningly named eh?)

"perldoc CGI" for more info, it's a standard module
in perl distributions.

hth
tony
--
Tony Curtis, Systems Manager, VCPC,    | Tel +43 1 310 93 96 - 12; Fax - 13
Liechtensteinstrasse 22, A-1090 Wien.  | <URI: http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;

Fri, 14 Sep 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Need script for posting to newsgroups

2. CGI - Posting to newsgroups, how?

3. Perl gurus! LDAP help needed

4. Help Wanted: need a Perl guru's suggestion

5. Need help from Perl guru

6. Need Help from PERL GURU'S

7. Need Win32 Perl guru phone help - will pay cash

8. perl gurus..help needed

9. Need Help from PERL GURU'S

10. Need help from Perl/Tk C API Gurus

11. Posting to a newsgroup using Perl

12. Posting an article to a newsgroup using Perl