New problem..
Author Message
 New problem..

I've just written a rather large PERL program which I feel could be used as
a viable tool for anyone with Windows and AIM.  My only problem is, most
non-powerusers don't have PERL on their systems, nor do they have any idea
or concept of what PERL is.  Is there a way of "compiling", per se, my perl
script into a file which is standalone-enough to be run by just any user of
Windows?  For instance, MS Quick Basic has a "compiler" which I guess just
rolls a version of the Basic interpreter together with the code, and all
into a standalone EXE; is there a way of doing this with PERL?
Thanks.
~Mike

Sat, 15 May 2004 06:08:39 GMT
 New problem..

<SNIP>
| or concept of what PERL is.  Is there a way of "compiling", per se, my
perl
| script into a file which is standalone-enough to be run by just any user
of
| Windows?  For instance, MS Quick Basic has a "compiler" which I guess just
<SNIP>

www.perl2exe.com

/jN

Sat, 15 May 2004 08:15:15 GMT
 New problem..

Quote:

> I've just written a rather large PERL program which I feel could be used as
> a viable tool for anyone with Windows and AIM.  My only problem is, most
> non-powerusers don't have PERL on their systems, nor do they have any idea
> or concept of what PERL is.  Is there a way of "compiling", per se, my perl
> script into a file which is standalone-enough to be run by just any user of
> Windows?  For instance, MS Quick Basic has a "compiler" which I guess just
> rolls a version of the Basic interpreter together with the code, and all
> into a standalone EXE; is there a way of doing this with PERL?

This is in the FAQ. Part 3, by the way.

Cheers,
Bernard

Sat, 15 May 2004 08:31:21 GMT
 New problem..

Quote:

>This is in the FAQ. Part 3, by the way.

point it out, will ya?
thanx  ;-)

Sat, 15 May 2004 18:30:00 GMT
 New problem..

Quote:
> I've just written a rather large PERL program which I feel could be used
as
> a viable tool for anyone with Windows and AIM.  My only problem is, most
> non-powerusers don't have PERL on their systems, nor do they have any idea
> or concept of what PERL is.  Is there a way of "compiling", per se, my
perl
> script into a file which is standalone-enough to be run by just any user
of
> Windows?

Well, actually your subject line is misleading because this is not a new
problem at all.
Indeed it has been asked so many times that there is an entry in the FAQ for
it.

See PerlFAQ3: "How can I compile my Perl program into byte code or C?"

jue

Sat, 15 May 2004 21:20:46 GMT
 New problem..

Quote:

>Well, actually your subject line is misleading because this is not a new
>problem at all.
>Indeed it has been asked so many times that there is an entry in the FAQ
for
>it.

Indeed.  this error occurred to me after I posted, though "new" meant (as
subjects from newbies often do), relative to me.

Sat, 15 May 2004 22:06:05 GMT
 New problem..

Quote:

>www.perl2exe.com

Thanks.
Now, I've installed this and run it on my PERL program, but then when I went
to run said program, it quickly froze and locked my computer, to the point
where the mouse doesn't even move and I have no recourse but to power down.
Did I make a mistake by getting the "beta" version?

Sat, 15 May 2004 22:07:21 GMT
 New problem..

Quote:
> I've just written a rather large PERL program which I feel could be used
as
> a viable tool for anyone with Windows and AIM.  My only problem is, most
> non-powerusers don't have PERL on their systems, nor do they have any idea
> or concept of what PERL is.  Is there a way of "compiling", per se, my
perl
> script into a file which is standalone-enough to be run by just any user
of
> Windows?  For instance, MS Quick Basic has a "compiler" which I guess just
> rolls a version of the Basic interpreter together with the code, and all
> into a standalone EXE; is there a way of doing this with PERL?

You mean Perl not PERL.  Check the FAQ for why.

But, you need to take a look at PerlAPP from Activestate Corp, or Perl2exe
from Dynamicstate.

Check the obvious urls, (www.activestate.com www.dynamicstate.com) or a
search engine.

Wyzelli
--
#Modified from the original by Jim Menard
for(reverse(1..100)){$s=($_!=1)? 's':'';print"$_ bottle$s of beer on the

Sat, 15 May 2004 08:14:33 GMT
 New problem..

Quote:

>You mean Perl not PERL.  Check the FAQ for why.

Well, I'm a newbie so I don't know exactly where the c.l.p.m FAQ is.. sorry
;-)

Sun, 16 May 2004 07:03:57 GMT
 New problem..

Quote:

> >You mean Perl not PERL.  Check the FAQ for why.

> Well, I'm a newbie so I don't know exactly where the c.l.p.m FAQ is..
sorry
> ;-)

www.perl.com
If you installed Activeperl, it will be in html documentation in your start
menu
It will be on your hard disk in some format, at least (if you have installed
Perl) - type perldoc perldoc at your command prompt.

Wyzelli
--

Sun, 16 May 2004 08:27:50 GMT

1. new problems with tripod.com cgi-bin scripts cannot write files

2. Sboard, interesting new problem (was: ooPerl is harder than it looks)

3. new problem

4. New problem ....

5. new problem

6. ...sigh! new problem in the saga Win32::API function call

7. New here: Problem with Perl/TK

8. problem invoking a new method!

9. problem using Mail::Sender(new bie)

10. Problem with new regexps in 5.0

11. Problems installing new Perl5 Modules in Win95

12. Some new (to me) problems in Perl 4.035 and 4.036