CGI Script for making "cookies"
Author Message
 CGI Script for making "cookies"

We are new to perl/cgi script coding, and in a project we are working on
we have found out that we need to give each visitor on our htmlpages a
unique number/identity. We dont know how to achieve this, but have heard
of something called "cookies" which will handle this.

Any information regarding solving this problem will be greatly
appreciated.

Egil Helland

Tue, 11 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 CGI Script for making "cookies"

Quote:

>We are new to perl/cgi script coding, and in a project we are working on
>we have found out that we need to give each visitor on our htmlpages a
>unique number/identity. We dont know how to achieve this, but have heard
>of something called "cookies" which will handle this.

See http://www.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html.  It's really
quite easy, if you are familiar with writing CGI scripts.  You may want
to get up to speed on the basics of CGI first.

Joshua Lerner

Tue, 11 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 CGI Script for making "cookies"

Quote:

> We are new to perl/cgi script coding, and in a project we are working on
> we have found out that we need to give each visitor on our htmlpages a
> unique number/identity. We dont know how to achieve this, but have heard
> of something called "cookies" which will handle this.

> Any information regarding solving this problem will be greatly
> appreciated.

> Egil Helland

From Egil's site.....

HTTP/1.0 200 OK
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 1996 17:49:11 GMT
Server: Apache/1.1b0a
Expires: Fri, 01 Mar 1996 10:49:11 GMT
Last-modified: Mon, 19 Feb 1996 00:35:11 GMT

Since you are using Apache, you can just plug in the cookie module.
There's a known bug in Apache 1.1b0a (*not* a public beta !!!) that
caused it to core dump when I switched on the cookie module. You
should go back to 1.0.3 which is stable.

If you want to add cookies from perl scripts, see
   http://www.netscape.com/newsref/std/cookie_spec.html
for header information that the script should output.

rob
--
http://nqcd.lanl.gov/~hartill/
         ------- press CTRL-ALT-DEL for more information -------

Tue, 11 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. My <!--#exec cgi="\scripts\script.pl"-->command will not work

2. CGI scripts displaying "Internal Server Error"?

3. CGI script that handles "multiple select"

4. "Back button" in CGI script

5. Testing a perl "CGI" script

6. "Nobody" running CGI scripts

7. Making a variable "strict"ly OK