* Perl vs. Java in high-traffic Website *
Author Message
 * Perl vs. Java in high-traffic Website *

! Need *your* opinion !

"Some guys explain to a customer: Websites from <that> kind of traffic
 meet the edge of running dynamic pages with Perl. They sugguest to
 make future developments in pure Java."

Technical Conditions:

- Apache Webserver
- Sun Solaris
- Postgres database, ~ 15 Tables, < 50000 rows
- Web traffic approximately 25000 page views per hour

I assume the reason for their advise lies in the fact it is easyer
to protect the intellectual property with Servlets rather than
deploying a script where the customer becomes the ability to read code.

* Please reply your opinion!
  I'd prefer a CC to my mail address. Remove "cut_here." prefix.

Thanks,
Reto
"guilty as another hacker of the Perl republic"

Wed, 23 Jul 2003 18:48:01 GMT
 * Perl vs. Java in high-traffic Website *

MCMXCIII in <URL::">
&&
&& ! Need *your* opinion !
&&
&&
[...]

Your posting doesn't include any relevant to form an opinion about.
You can do 25000 page views per hour without running any program other
than the webserver and what's needed to keep the OS up.

The best thing you can do is make a good test. Make it so that you can
actually claim that your results scale without being laughed at. (It's
easy to make a test. It's easy to multiply the numbers that are the outcome
of the test. It's not so easy to make your test such that the multiply
numbers actually mean something).

Abigail
--
$" = "/"; split $, => eval join "+" => 1 .. 7;

Thu, 24 Jul 2003 04:15:29 GMT
 * Perl vs. Java in high-traffic Website *
[cc and posted]

Quote:

>! Need *your* opinion !

>"Some guys explain to a customer: Websites from <that> kind of traffic
> meet the edge of running dynamic pages with Perl. They sugguest to
> make future developments in pure Java."

>Technical Conditions:

>- Apache Webserver
>- Sun Solaris
>- Postgres database, ~ 15 Tables, < 50000 rows
>- Web traffic approximately 25000 page views per hour

>I assume the reason for their advise lies in the fact it is easyer
>to protect the intellectual property with Servlets rather than
>deploying a script where the customer becomes the ability to read code.

Do you really have a problem or is this some consultant spreading
fear uncertainty and doubt? That statement in quotes above?  At best it
is misleading. At worst it is a lie.

It is my opinion that simply changing from Perl to Java, all other
things left the same, will make no significant change in the
performance of the system.  Measuring and tuning the existing system
regardless of implementation language will be far more efficient
in terms of time and capital than re-writing the existing system
in a new language.

Often the best way to gain a performance improvement is simply to
upgrade to faster hardware.    If your hardware is more that 12
months old it may well be time to move the application to a new
box.  That will definitely be cheeper than hiring a developer to
re-write your app in Java.  And at a much higher speedup factor
than  simply re-writing it.

chris
--
    This space intentionally left blank

Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:22:13 GMT
 * Perl vs. Java in high-traffic Website *
Are you talking about Perl/CGI or mod_perl ?

I guess 99% of CPU will be spent in Postgres anyway, so
the choice of Perl vs. Java doesn't really matter.

regards,

-Klaus

Quote:

> ! Need *your* opinion !

> "Some guys explain to a customer: Websites from <that> kind of traffic
>  meet the edge of running dynamic pages with Perl. They sugguest to
>  make future developments in pure Java."

> Technical Conditions:

> - Apache Webserver
> - Sun Solaris
> - Postgres database, ~ 15 Tables, < 50000 rows
> - Web traffic approximately 25000 page views per hour

> I assume the reason for their advise lies in the fact it is easyer
> to protect the intellectual property with Servlets rather than
> deploying a script where the customer becomes the ability to read
code.

> * Please reply your opinion!
>   I'd prefer a CC to my mail address. Remove "cut_here." prefix.

> Thanks,
> Reto
> "guilty as another hacker of the Perl republic"

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Fri, 25 Jul 2003 07:23:49 GMT
 * Perl vs. Java in high-traffic Website *

Quote:

>! Need *your* opinion !

>"Some guys explain to a customer: Websites from <that> kind of traffic
> meet the edge of running dynamic pages with Perl. They sugguest to
> make future developments in pure Java."

>Technical Conditions:

>- Apache Webserver
>- Sun Solaris
>- Postgres database, ~ 15 Tables, < 50000 rows
>- Web traffic approximately 25000 page views per hour

>I assume the reason for their advise lies in the fact it is easyer
>to protect the intellectual property with Servlets rather than
>deploying a script where the customer becomes the ability to read code.

That's Javascript. Perl is executed on the server and the client never sees
it.

--
Nick

Sun, 27 Jul 2003 22:56:10 GMT

1. swatch.pl - watch your website's traffic in real-time

2. New Website Resource (Perl, JAVA, CGI, VB, JavaScript, HTMLScript, Sponsors)

3. Java virtual machine issues (Re: Pyth on vs. PERL vs. Java)

4. Java virtual machine issues (Re: Pyth on vs. PERL vs. Java)

5. Perl vs. Java Servlets

6. Perl vs. java and ActiveX

7. Perl vs Java

8. Help for OODBs and Perl vs Java or C++

9. Perl Vs. Java

10. Perl vs Java

11. Perl vs Java

12. Perl vs. PHP/Java