Temporary "holding"/"Working" page - ideas?
Author Message
 Temporary "holding"/"Working" page - ideas?

Hi there,

Looking for some ideas.

Got a script which runs a sql search. This search can take anything up to 60
secs - quite a long time. What I'd like to do is while the mySQL is
doing its stuff display a page like "Hold on - searching".

So the logic would be (roughly):

user completes and submits form
sql search starts
temp page loads "Hold on -  searching" - whilst the search is in
progress
sql returns results
spit out results page - which replaces "Hold on - searching" page.

Any ideas/thoughts on this would be appreciated. Vaguely thought about forking
it when the sql search starts.......

Lawrence

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:12:00 GMT
 Temporary "holding"/"Working" page - ideas?

Quote:

> Got a script which runs a sql search. This search can take anything
> up to 60 secs - quite a long time. What I'd like to do is while the
> mySQL is doing its stuff display a page like "Hold on - searching".

And your Perl question would be ......?

jue

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 15:20:31 GMT
 Temporary "holding"/"Working" page - ideas?

Quote:

> Hi there,

> Looking for some ideas.

> Got a script which runs a sql search. This search can take anything up to 60
> secs - quite a long time. What I'd like to do is while the mySQL is
> doing its stuff display a page like "Hold on - searching".

See Randal's column at:
http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col20.html

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 17:54:45 GMT
 Temporary "holding"/"Working" page - ideas?
Cheers mate that's absolutely perfect!

> > Hi there,

> > Looking for some ideas.

> > Got a script which runs a sql search. This search can take anything up
to 60
> > secs - quite a long time. What I'd like to do is while the mySQL is
> > doing its stuff display a page like "Hold on - searching".

> See Randal's column at:
> http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col20.html

Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:18:23 GMT

1. "character class ""bug""

2. system(("cp", "-Rf", "/tmp/a/*", "/tmp/b")); doesnt wrk

3. how to parse a "this", "that", "and the ", "other" file

5. how to safely substitute a "(", ")" or "["

6. "perlfreak", "i love perl", "perllover" or...???

7. how to parse "this", "that", "other"

8. split line like "a","b","c"

9. "Perl Embedded HTML" Page Cache

10. Perl function "man" pages

11. Looking for a Solaris "quot" replacement

12. Child processes, "Please wait" pages