redirection using Location
Author Message
 redirection using Location

Hi,

I am buying web & cgi "space" on a Unix server. My Unix & perl
knowledge  is basic but improving - thanks to many people.

My problem:
-----------
I am using perl to redirect users using print "location:$url\n\n" and
get a 302-Temporarily moved.

My Questions:
-------------
What is a 302 and why do I get it ?
Does this mean redirection is not allowed on my server ?

Thanks for any help,
Neil

Creative Web Design
Web Design, Creation & Site Management, Graphics, Internet Marketing
http://www.*-*-*.com/

(902) 447-3779, RR2, 2695 Hansford Road, Oxford,  Cumberland Co., NS,
Canada

Thu, 22 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 redirection using Location

Quote:
>I am buying web & cgi "space" on a Unix server. My Unix & perl
>knowledge  is basic but improving - thanks to many people.

>My problem:
>-----------
>I am using perl to redirect users using print "location:$url\n\n" and
>get a 302-Temporarily moved.

>My Questions:
>-------------
>What is a 302 and why do I get it ?
>Does this mean redirection is not allowed on my server ?

It may mean that your destination held in $url has indeed moved
temporarily. Try the following things first.

1) With you browser check the $url contents (the url address) is
readable by your browser. If it gets the same error then it is not your
program, but it must be the destination.

assuming the URL address is valid:-

2) Replace the $url with the hard address, i.e.:-

$url = "http://www.worsdall.demon.co.uk/wizdom.html";
print "Location: $url\n\n";

replace with:-

print "Location: http://www.worsdall.demon.co.uk/wizdom.html\n\n";

Now if you get the same error then I have no idea.:-)
--
Mark Worsdall (Webmaster) - WEB site:- http://www.shadow.org.uk

Any opinion given is my own personal belief...

Thu, 22 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Redirection using location

2. redirection using Location: in Perl CGI script

3. Wierd redirection problem with Location:

4. redirection Location help

5. Wierd redirection problem with Location:

6. Location, Redirection

7. using 'system' and i/o redirection

8. How to get picture file in web which involve redirection using LWP

9. print Location and print "Location

10. Why is var using same memory location

11. Please help - using a target with the Location cmd

12. Using print "Location:..." with frames