Compiling scripts
Author Message
 Compiling scripts

I would love to discuss compiling PERL (through the alpha-3 Perl-to-C
compiler) with anyone who has relavent experience.  I have run into
problems compiling files that are larger than ~= 30k, where the
compiler can't handle the memory requirements of optimizations.
Without the optimizations the scripts do not offer any real
performance advantage (and are MUCH slower than a "dump-compiled"
script).

Also interested in if anyone has any performance characteristics of
Perl statically compiled versus shared libraries.

Does anyone know of any good literature available.  I've heard that
TPJ has an issue on compiling, anyone know which article?

I will check back on the list over the next couple of days but my
bandwidth is limited so I'd prefer an email if possible

Thanks to any and all.  :^)

Sun, 27 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compiling scripts

I'm actually interested in this as well

along with what a 'dump compiled' script is

I've heard of such a beast, but don't know where to look for information

Quote:
> I would love to discuss compiling PERL (through the alpha-3 Perl-to-C
> compiler) with anyone who has relavent experience.  I have run into
> problems compiling files that are larger than ~= 30k, where the
> compiler can't handle the memory requirements of optimizations.
> Without the optimizations the scripts do not offer any real
> performance advantage (and are MUCH slower than a "dump-compiled"
> script).

> Also interested in if anyone has any performance characteristics of
> Perl statically compiled versus shared libraries.

Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Compiling scripts

Quote:

> I'm actually interested in this as well

> along with what a 'dump compiled' script is

> I've heard of such a beast, but don't know where to look for information

In the manpage on perl flags, it shows the following:

         -u   causes perl to dump core after compiling your script.
               You can then take this core dump and turn it into an
               executable file by using the undump program (not
               supplied).  This speeds startup at the expense of some
               disk space (which you can minimize by stripping the
               executable).  (Still, a "hello world" executable comes
               out to about 200K on my machine.)  If you are going to
               run your executable as a set-id program then you should
               probably compile it using taintperl rather than normal
               perl.  If you want to execute a portion of your script
               before dumping, use the dump operator instead.  Note:
               availability of undump is platform specific and may not
               be available for a specific port of perl.

Basicly, causing perl to core dump after the script is compiled. Then
using the resultant core file and undump to create an executable.
I, personally, have never tried it though.

Bryan
--

Tue, 29 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Compiler-a3: new() errror w/cc_harness compiled script

2. Error when compiling script: HELP!

3. Compiling scripts in Perl 5?

4. can't compile script with perlcc

5. Can Perl compile scripts?

6. Apache::Registry caching of compiled scripts

7. Compiling Scripts to DOS EXEs

8. compiling scripts with Active State perl

9. Compile script to exe on many platforms

10. RETRY: manipulating @INC at perl5 compile time (not script compile time)

11. how to compile perl scripts

12. Perl crashes trying to compile this script