Perl Database interface to a Microsoft Access database MS-Access
Author Message
 Perl Database interface to a Microsoft Access database MS-Access

Hi,
   I can't be the first person to ever have this problem.
   I have a Microsoft Access database file that I would like have DBI
connectivity to thru my Perl CGI scripts.  However, my web server is on
a Unix box.  Is there a way I can just store the MS-Access database on
my Unix filesystem and "use" some Perl module to provide access to it
(no pun intended)?

Thanks,
James Pittman

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 14:46:56 GMT
 Perl Database interface to a Microsoft Access database MS-Access
Quote:
>    I can't be the first person to ever have this problem.
>    I have a Microsoft Access database file that I would like have DBI
> connectivity to thru my Perl CGI scripts.  However, my web server is on
> a Unix box.  Is there a way I can just store the MS-Access database on
> my Unix filesystem and "use" some Perl module to provide access to it
> (no pun intended)?

No, but you can setup a DBI::Proxy server on your Windows box.  In
practice I've never managed to get more than one connection at a time
using DBI::Proxy on Windows (you might have more luck).  An alternative
method is to use DBD::ODBC and an ODBC bridge such as:
  http://www.easysoft.com/products/oob/main.phtml

Having said all that, the best advice I can offer is to migrate your
database to something your UNIX box can communicate with natively, such as
MySQL.

Using MySQL you can run the database on your PC or your UNIX box and
access it from either O/S via TCP/IP.  You can still connect to it from
MS-Access on your PC via an ODBC DSN Link and even use MS-Access as a
front-end/GUI/form builder.

--
  Simon Oliver

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 16:09:15 GMT

1. Perl Database interface to a Microsoft Access database MS-Access

2. Perl Database interface to a Microsoft Access database MS-Access

3. Using Perl To Access Microsoft Access Databases???

4. Accessing MS-Access database with Perl

5. perl to access MS Access database

6. Accessing MS Access Database from Perl (Solaris)

7. Perl to access a MS Access database

8. MS Access database access from Perl for Win32

9. Accessing MS Access Database from Unix

10. Accessing a MS Access Database

11. Perl and Microsoft access database

12. Query Microsoft Access Database with perl