Can you build GUI's with perl?
Author Message
 Can you build GUI's with perl?

Is it possible to build GUI's with perl, under Linux and
or Windows?   I checked CPAN, but didn't find any modules
along these lines.

-Thanks

Sat, 01 Nov 2003 11:21:40 GMT
 Can you build GUI's with perl?
Bernie on Monday 14 May 2001 20:21:

Quote:
> Is it possible to build GUI's with perl, under Linux and
> or Windows?   I checked CPAN, but didn't find any modules
> along these lines.

Rest assured, they are there.  Item #8 on the module list entitled
"User Interfaces".  But you probably don't need to stop by CPAN. On
your local system try:

--

Salvador Peralta                   -o)
Currently enjoyingTcl              / \

                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sat, 01 Nov 2003 14:18:51 GMT
 Can you build GUI's with perl?

Quote:

>Is it possible to build GUI's with perl, under Linux and
>or Windows?   I checked CPAN, but didn't find any modules
>along these lines.

Tk. There even is a dedicated newsgroup for it:

The FAQ can be found here:
<http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~pvhp/ptk/ptkFAQ.html>.

--
        Bart.

Sat, 01 Nov 2003 14:57:31 GMT
 Can you build GUI's with perl?
On Tue, 15 May 2001 03:21:40 GMT,

Quote:
> Is it possible to build GUI's with perl, under Linux and
> or Windows?   I checked CPAN, but didn't find any modules
> along these lines.

The TK modules, especially if you've already worked with Tk before
(maybe on top of tcl), or the Gtk (Gnome, Glade) modules, especially if
you've already worked with those.  Tk is probably more mature, and
probably offers a bit more functionality. Apart from the abovementioned,
there's also Qt, which I have never tried myself.

I personally like Gtk better, but I've never written any major GUIs in
Perl. I just never see any need for them. A CLI or TUI works just as
well, and often better.

Martien
--
Martien Verbruggen              |
Interactive Media Division      | The gene pool could use a little

Sat, 01 Nov 2003 20:07:02 GMT
 Can you build GUI's with perl?

Quote:

> Is it possible to build GUI's with perl, under Linux and
> or Windows?   I checked CPAN, but didn't find any modules
> along these lines.

> -Thanks

Use perl-gtk or perl-gnome (or) both
Very well documented and powerfull.

http://personal.riverusers.com/~swilhelm/gtkperl-tutorial/

also read the articles posted in www.perl.com

Sat, 01 Nov 2003 20:38:41 GMT
 Can you build GUI's with perl?

Quote:

> Is it possible to build GUI's with perl, under Linux and
> or Windows?   I checked CPAN, but didn't find any modules
> along these lines.

> -Thanks

============================

besides TK, it is also possible to come up with a decent UI using html
forms... with all the advantages/limitations that implies. As long as
you have a local, intranet, or internet webserver available you can use
all the nice html interface widgets to drive perl scripts or whatever
other executables you want.

Managing state information is a challange, but with cookies, temp text
files, or database interfaces it is certainly possible. I have found
prototyping an interface with standard html tools to be faster than
learning TK....

Sun, 02 Nov 2003 02:47:35 GMT
 Can you build GUI's with perl?

Quote:
> Tk. There even is a dedicated newsgroup for it:

Everybody seems to want to use Tk. I can also recommend Qt, which tied in
with Event, makes a superbly useful event driven GUI thingy possible.

Cheers

James

Sun, 02 Nov 2003 11:24:57 GMT
 Can you build GUI's with perl?

information is a challange, but with cookies, temp text

Quote:
> files, or database interfaces it is certainly possible. I have found
> prototyping an interface with standard html tools to be faster than
> learning TK....

HI..........
I am new in Tk.
Could you show me some examples about prototyping an interface with standard
html tools?
I am very interested.
Thanks a lot.

Tue, 04 Nov 2003 09:32:22 GMT
 Can you build GUI's with perl?

Quote:

> information is a challange, but with cookies, temp text
> > files, or database interfaces it is certainly possible. I have found
> > prototyping an interface with standard html tools to be faster than
> > learning TK....

> HI..........
> I am new in Tk.
> Could you show me some examples about prototyping an interface with standard
> html tools?
> I am very interested.
> Thanks a lot.

-------------------------------

examples? just use any html composer to create html forms; complete
with all the widgets like pull-downs, buttons, tables images, colrs,
etc
Design your <FORM> actions to call perl scripts, and set required
paramters with <INPUT> statements, or cookies, or whatever.
Basically, and interface design that is possible with HTML forms can
be used to "drive" an application as long as you have access to a
webserver to handle the transactions between the browser client and
the server.
For local applications, it is very easy to get a little webserver up
and running in the background on a PC... install the freebie from
www.xitami.com and you'll have a http://localhost

Dan

Wed, 05 Nov 2003 01:13:52 GMT

1. Perl modules to build Explorer-like HTML GUI??

2. ANNOUNCE: Win32::GUI Beta (build 220)

3. Building a GUI for the Script

4. question about canned perl script

5. win32: How do i build gui app

6. parsing canned response