Shortcut(s) to perl scripts bomb
Author Message
 Shortcut(s) to perl scripts bomb

hello Perl gang.

i need a quick response on this; kudos in advance to
the one who helps me...

i've got MIIS 2.0 running on an NT 4.0 workstation; the web
server is configured to handle cgi scripts and looks in the
'Scripts' (actually an alias to 'scripts') directory to find them.
as a test, i created a comment form with which included a line
like this:

<form ... method="post" action="http://...../Scripts/test.pl">

the test.pl script just prints the text the user typed in the
form's comment field.  as long as the text.pl file physically resides
in the directory aliased by 'Scripts', i get the expected results.
this same test.pl also resides in another directory.  so, as a test,
i deleted ../Scripts/test.pl, then i went to the directory where the
other test.pl was, created a shortcut to it, and moved that shortcut to
'Scripts'.  after renaming the shortcut to 'test.pl', i thought i
would get the same results.  however, when i submitted the comment,
i got an error stating that http://.../Scripts/test.pl could not be
found.

ANY helpful (and prompt) feedback is greatly appreciated - even
if it's a request for clarification on this problem.  Thanks!

Shade L. Jenifer

Fri, 16 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Shortcut(s) to perl scripts bomb

says...
<cut>

Quote:
> so, as a test,
>i deleted ../Scripts/test.pl, then i went to the directory where the
>other test.pl was, created a shortcut to it, and moved that shortcut to
>'Scripts'.  after renaming the shortcut to 'test.pl', i thought i
>would get the same results.  however, when i submitted the comment,
>i got an error stating that http://.../Scripts/test.pl could not be
>found.

This is really a question for comp.infosystems.www.servers.ms-windows
but as you asked here first I would suggest that the problem is that the
shortcut you created in your /Scripts directory is not *really* called
test.pl but <some name>.lnk (or something like this). The NT4.0 (Win95) user
environment knows about this stuff but IIS does not care about such things.

Hope that helps.

/J\

Sat, 17 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Zeller's Congruence Script Bombs

2. mailflash - script to e-mail terminal bombs

3. Perl 4.036 Bombing on Me!

4. Limiting system use - Perl bombing system

5. Perl on Windows question and windows shortcuts.

6. Perl shortcut question

7. Perl Shortcut?

8. Req: Perl ShortCut Document on System Variables and Pattern Matching Characters

9. WinNT/Win95 Perl shortcuts?

10. syscdefs.ph bombing out!?

11. make bombs on missing dbm routines (HP-UX)

12. Ban the (silent) bombs