cgi-lib.pl vs CGI.pm
Author Message
 cgi-lib.pl vs CGI.pm

I am very proficient at writing cgi scripts using cgi-lib.pl.
The company I've started working for has done most of its scripting
using CGI.pm. I've read up on CGI.pm, but I don't see that many
advantages to using it.
Could anyone explain what the advantages are to CGI.pm---if any?

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 cgi-lib.pl vs CGI.pm

Quote:
> I am very proficient at writing cgi scripts using cgi-lib.pl.
> The company I've started working for has done most of its scripting
> using CGI.pm. I've read up on CGI.pm, but I don't see that many
> advantages to using it.
> Could anyone explain what the advantages are to CGI.pm---if any?

Current enhancement and maintenance vs obsolescence.

--
(Just Another Larry) Rosler
Hewlett-Packard Laboratories

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 cgi-lib.pl vs CGI.pm

Quote:

> I am very proficient at writing cgi scripts using cgi-lib.pl.
> The company I've started working for has done most of its scripting
> using CGI.pm. I've read up on CGI.pm, but I don't see that many
> advantages to using it.
> Could anyone explain what the advantages are to CGI.pm---if any?

Could you define "read up on"?  Sounds quite trollish.  Anyway,

CGI.pm:

1) Was last modified 2000-03-28
2) Is included with any reasonably recent version of Perl
3) Has a number of features cgi-lib.pl lacks
4) Was written for Perl 5, including an OO interface

cgi-lib.pl:

1) Was last modified 1999-02-23
2) Is not widely used anymore
3) Was written originally for Perl 4

The company is right this time.

- Tom

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 cgi-lib.pl vs CGI.pm

Quote:
> I am very proficient at writing cgi scripts using cgi-lib.pl.
> The company I've started working for has done most of its scripting
> using CGI.pm.

It's possible, if you wish, to get CGI.pm to allow you to use the
techniques you're familiar with from cgi-lib.pl.

   use CGI qw(:cgi-lib);

...although brand-new scripts may benefit from having learnt the
approaches that CGI.pm provides as :standard.

HTH,
Andrew.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT

1. cgi-lib.pl vs CGI.pm?

2. cgi.pm .vs. cgi-lib.pl

3. CGI.pm/cgi-lib.pl benchmark (Was: cgi-lib.pl or CGI.pm?)

4. Whats better cgi-lib.pl or cgi.pm?

5. Whats better cgi-lib.pl or cgi.pm?

6. CGI.pm or CGI-LIB.pl

7. novice question re CGI.pm/cgi-lib.pl

8. cgi-lib.pl or CGI.pm?

9. Problems with http file upload using cgi.pm and cgi-lib.pl

10. Whats better cgi-lib.pl or cgi.pm?

11. ns-upload, CGI.pm & cgi-lib.pl

12. cgi-lib vs. CGI