Getting contents of a URL
Author Message
 Getting contents of a URL

Hi.

I am trying to obtain the contents of a URL like

http://www.{*filter*}space.org/index.html

into a variable $contents.

I used the get() method in LWP::Simple module but got the folloing message

"Your vendor has not defined Socket Macro AF_INET in Socket.pm"

I tried reinstalling the module but , it gave the same message.Now I have
written off that module and I want to know if

1.it can be developed on my own
2 other modules are available to accomplish the same

For Option 1 ,i would consider it a great help if somebody can give me tips on
how to proceed.

Am clueless as far as the LWP module is concerned.There werent   any
error/warning messages while  the module was being installed.
I am looking for suggestions for alternate methods to get the above task done.

Thanx

Chandramohan Neelakantan

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"
                                           - Japanese Proverb

Mon, 01 Sep 2003 21:49:34 GMT
 Getting contents of a URL

Quote:

> Subject: Getting contents of a URL
> I am trying to obtain the contents of a URL like

Yes, but that doesn't necessarily make that an appropriate subject
line.

Quote:
> "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step"
>                                            - Japanese Proverb

Indeed.  And if when you try to take that first step you find that
your shoelaces are tied together then you should be asking for help
with untieing your laces, not help with long distance travel.

Quote:
> "Your vendor has not defined Socket Macro AF_INET in Socket.pm"

There is something fundamentally wrong with your Perl installation.
You probably should re-install it.

Quote:
> I tried reinstalling the module but , it gave the same message.Now I have
> written off that module and I want to know if

> 1.it can be developed on my own
> 2 other modules are available to accomplish the same

Anything that tries to use IP sockets in Perl will fail.  Your other
option is to use something like backticks and lynx.

--
     \\   ( )
  .  _\\__[oo

 .  l___\\
  # ll  l\\
 ###LL  LL\\

Tue, 02 Sep 2003 02:26:20 GMT

1. getting the content of a url...

2. Getting the contents of a URL.

3. Retrieving contents of a url

4. Retrieving contents of url

5. How to import URL contents!

6. Getting Content type of a file

7. Getting content of a remote site

8. getting contents of a dir

9. Getting perl to execute after print content

10. getting web page content

11. Getting a web page content using perl

12. Help with getting file contents